9 | This Place Is Death

Stars hide your fears; let not light see my black and deep desires.
William Shakespeare.

Melissa felt a thick wall of tension between her and Derek on her way down to her parent's house in the car that night

Melissa felt a thick wall of tension between her and Derek on her way down to her parent's house in the car that night. She'd taken into consideration that he hadn't given her the cold shoulder; he'd been mostly polite towards her throughout the day.

Like when she needed help with bathing Holly and changing her, so she could run an errand for her father the other day, he had been quick to assist in helping her, while she was gone.

Or when she wanted to take a nap because she had a splitting migraine and had to rest it off, he'd done it no questions asked. But he had been far from his normal attentive self and had been snapping at her over the smallest of things.

She just hoped after this night was through, that Derek would at least warm up to the idea of opening up to her, instead of shutting her out like he had been since they moved there.

After they entered through Devil's creek, which was a little way out of Highbury Hills, they continued through the massive tangle of hardwoods and thick underbrush, past the fork that led to her father's house. The road snaked right into the clearing.

The second they pulled up to her father's driveway, a wave of dread hit Melissa when she scanned the driveway for Davids's car but instead she was met with an empty parking space as if no one were home.

"Well, it looks like nobody's home," Derek pointed out, rolling the window down. He popped his head out of the wide open space, so he could see if anyone had been lurking around the premises.

Melissa presumed her father and her stepmother could have stepped out to go shopping until she remembered the spare key her father had given her in case of an emergency.

"I have a spare key," Melissa reminded him, almost sensing Derek groan inwardly after she said that.

She felt relieved when she looked into the rearview mirror and caught sight of her father Edward walking from the garden to their car, with Sally, her father's border collie wagging its tail behind him. It had given her a sense of peace knowing someone was there.

As Melissa stepped out of the car to greet her father with a warm embrace and a kiss, a baying split the air, followed by a familiar screeching sound of a car pulling up to her father's driveway forcing them all to stop in their tracks. Sally was just about to jump up and rest her paws on her, but the sound of the car frightened her away.

She shot off in the opposite direction before Melissa could even stop her. She didn't have to strain her eyes in the dark to realise it was David who had just arrived.

So much for him not being here tonight, she thought catching a glimpse of David's black Ford Mustang parked outside her father's gate, revving the engine and honking his horn, wanting to come in. The sound of the heavy metal music he was playing, was switched off as soon as he drove in through the gates.