8 | Chaos Reigns

"Time takes it all whether you want it or not, time takes it all. Time bears it away, and in the end, there is only darkness, sometimes we find others in that darkness, and sometimes we lose them there again.
Stephen King.

Warning: explicit content proceed with caution.

Derek felt the floor beneath his feet sway, as he stood in the entranceway of the doorway. He couldn't take his eyes off this place from the moment he'd set his sights on it. This old house had an indescribable eeriness about it, that left him somewhat uncomfortable.

As haunting as it was, it still somehow managed to retain its beauty and impeccable splendour, it was just simply unnoticed and hidden beneath the run-down old paint, and broken windows. It possessed a sort of enigma about it, as if each room was like a cryptic puzzle, waiting for Derek to unlock and be explored.

The house lived as if it were almost under a constant dark cloud, as if the sun kept reaching for those dark thin paper walls, but just couldn't break through that protective barrier of shadows, that guarded it, from any forms of light that begged to come through it. The windows remained a deep, shade of black and were oversized and divided into many parts like the compound eyes of a fly.

Derek placed his fingers on the wall, robbing them of warmth, they were so frigid to his touch, never caring whether his heart froze.

The eerie staircase seemed to linger on for miles and Derek let out an ecstatic groan of displeasure as if it were a mountain he was about to climb for the very first time, exhausted and unprepared for the battle ahead of him.

As Derek descended up the staircase, he could hear Mel shouting at the movers, who were busy offloading their belongings, not to drop anything.

Reaching towards the last step, he was soon met with a long narrow hallway, it looked as if it had never seen the light of day. Two windows stood at the end of the hallway, nothing could be seen from them other than darkness. The rooms remained empty, and in no way possessed anything special about them, only untold stories hidden beneath each wall, and crack, and Derek had found himself yearning with anticipation to learn more about this old mysterious house that possessed so many secrets.

He trudged along the cold hard floors that revealed gapes protruding from each icy cold broken tile, terrified the floor would decline beneath his feet. Derek's pace began to slow down when he unexpectedly felt as if something had just passed him, but when he glanced over his shoulder, all he could see was the gloomy, out-dated rose-printed wallpaper begging for a fresh coat of paint.

'Derek's attention quickly, averted when he caught sight of an old rocking chair sitting in one of the corners of the rooms it was covered in thick layers of dust and cobwebs never knowing that it could so easily be swept away.