1. The get-together

MEGAN

Breakup was something I considered to be heart breaking. I had expected it to be doomed up on me like an apocalypse, snatching everything that I believed was happy. I had wanted it to let me know the pain that it brought along, confident that it would never break me into two. If it had, I would have gone a step ahead to have binge drinking and ignoring all the calls regarding my work.

But that never happened.

Peter White, a struggling architect was the one who thought that he could teach me what a breakup would be. Apparently, he had failed at it. His absence in my life hadn't affected even in the teeniest bit.

The next morning after my breakup, I had woken up with a smile that kept me in shock, asking me the questions I had never asked myself before.

Was I that unhappy in a relationship with Pete? All the laughs we shared was nothing but a figment of my imagination? Was it all for a show?

But then again, life of singles suited me and I merged along with it. It was the first time that I was happy proving what my mother told me when I said I was calling quits in staying at her place.

"You are making a mistake, Megan. No one is going to like you in the town and you are going to come crawling back here with tears in your eyes." Eleanor Taylor, my mother had warned me. Her nostrils had flared when I said I was going to make a living going out of her house. "Who is going to stick with you anyway?"

With a determined expression on my face, I had walked out of her house, proclaiming that I would prove her false. But now, as her words came crashing back to me, it pricked me strongly. Then again, I was happy now. Why should I be letting her ruin my days over her usual rebukes?

Meanwhile, I decided to live my life with the flowers as I had always planned. I smiled to myself as I pulled the new set of blossoms from the truck into my flower boutique, Mystique Flowers. It was the only thing that surrounded my dreams.

In fact, it had become a hit after the last snowfall. Having able to deliver fresh and stylish flowers and their decorations on time, we had made it to the Boulevard Chronicles. With that as history, the Baldachin Boulevard had considered us to be a celebrity of sorts, bringing us fame and money that we had never seen before.

"What are you smiling at?" Amber asked. "I can't believe that Peter dumped you for another girl while you are smiling at the sun that has risen over your head!"

I snorted at her words, taking the big bucket into our shop. Amber had been my partner in crime ever since I could remember. Having waked away from home to make something of myself, I had ended up in a flower exhibition. Amber and I clicked very fast and a year after that we were planning to start our own trendy boutique. We had grown linearly for an year only to expand more during last Christmas.

Now, if you would want to have any celebration, the whole town would point at us, telling you that it wouldn't be a happy occasion if Mystique Flowers weren't a part of it.

"It's a good thing that we let go of each other." I shrugged, placing the bucket on the slab in front of my computer. Amber walked behind me with her own bucket of sunflowers. "We were just pulling each other down."

"I can't believe that you said that." Amber muttered. "Why date him in the first place if that was true? You were with him for around six months, Megan. Trust me, it's not a short time."

Amber wasn't as forthcoming as me in dating rituals. She had her own set of criteria to be fulfilled before she placed a guy on that spot. And when I said I was dating an architect, she had scrutinized him like an insect under the microscope, making sure that he ticked off all the columns before he could call me his girlfriend.