27. I still feel jealous

MEGAN

"You are!" I almost shouted squeezing the blood out of Miles' hand. "Wow, one honeymoon and you are already knocked up?"

Miles let out a small chuckle and I felt more relieved than ever. He had not smiled the whole dinner, and this felt like a summer breeze. I smiled to myself.

"Actually," Laura dragged. "I was three months pregnant during my wedding. Mark's parents believe in tradition and we had to keep it low."

"What?" Amber and I squealed together, almost shouting and accusing her for telling us, her best friends, this late.

Even now, we couldn't see her belly protruding and I wondered how she was going to convince her parents-in-law. But I truly was happy for her. She had already started a family while we were still figuring out our life.

"Dude, I didn't know you were this efficient." Miles said, cracking up some more. Mark only laughed at it, but his undeniable blush spoke million things.

Laura and Mark looked so happy together and the rest of the dinner went breezing through with much laughter and more drinks and more dessert.

"Only dessert for you, L." Miles teased, while Laura only put her tongue out at him childishly.

I was amazed at how friendly he was with Laura, while he shared a funny anger with Amber. Their eyes met every other minute and disgusted faces were exchanged. It was awfully familiar to a sibling fight after a long tiring day. To be honest, I was more amused than anxious.

"Ever since I got to know I'm preggers, I'm craving for wine and rum." Laura said, looking admiringly at Zack's glass. "Can I have a tiny sip, Zack?"

"No." Zack's answer was final and his commanding voice left no room for argument.

"God, I should learn some talking from you, man." Mark said, impressed at how he was able to shut his wife's mouth in one word. "So confident and strong."

"He would have probably learnt it from his girlfriend." Miles put his input getting a glare from Amber. "Isn't that true, Zack? Tell me, does she have a stick ready to hit you for all your tiny mistakes?"

"Yeah!" Zack had already joined Miles's team. "She has a separate stick picked out for every day. But don't worry babe, I think it's kind of sexy."

As Amber's cheeks heated, we all fell into giggles, teasing and mocking each other.

It felt strangely comfortable with the people around me. We had all come from different backgrounds, yet we had stood together like one big happy family. That alone made me smile and feel secure. Who cared if I was an orphan? With all these people around me, was I really one?

We retired after sitting another hour with empty plates taking about almost anything. Thankfully, my topic of how absurdly I had told the press about my fake relationship took backseat. It was mostly Laura's night, talking and making fun of each other.

As we waited for the cheque to arrive, I got a phone call. I excused myself as I went outside to pick the call. Even though I gave my credit card to Mark to share my bill with him, he insisted that the new Dad was going to pay. Some tradition, a party of sorts.

"Hello?" I asked as I went out into the cold night, wondering who might have called me.

"Hi, is this Megan Taylor from Mystique flowers?" The voice spoke. When I hummed in an affirmative, I heard a relieved sigh. "Hi, I'm Tim and I was wondering if I could have one of the flower decorations?"

I stopped short for a moment. Ever since I had gotten famous, many guys were calling me to get the decorations done. Three days ago, when I had assumed one of those calls to be genuine and I had agreed for a site visit. But it was only a trap. Many reporters were waiting for me at the sight, and since I was in a cab, I had made my way out of there without getting into anyone's notice.