10. Preparations

MILES

I whisked the batter, holding the bowl in my left hand while my right hand rotated, getting the mix in right proportions. I had talked to Austen about the arrangements, and we had concluded that we should start our show a week after the Christmas holidays.

Since our town was very small, he had expected to have people coming into the town from big cities to celebrate the festivities. And having a show at that time showed more statistics of people attending it.

It would be pure business promising a lot of profit. Though I had got a handful of letters from my previous show that it had to be held often, I had been tied with Shelly at that time and things had spiraled out of control.

Now? There was no stopping me. I was free.

"Back in the kitchen?" Joe asked as he entered. "Seems like old days."

"Yes, it is." I said, lifting up the beater to see if the batter was okay.

"Are you baking a cake?" Dylan asked, hopefully. "Just make it plain vanilla."

I smirked at him as I shifted the batter to the greased container, placing it in the oven. "I thought you were bored of vanillas."

"And I have tried all other flavors too." Dylan said seriously. "And though they are all great, trust me, there's nothing as good as vanilla."

I laughed as Joe made a disgusted face at him. "Are you sure you are still talking about cake now?"

"Both of them, my friend. Both of them." Dylan said, taking a seat on the counter.

Dylan was wearing a rugged jean paired up with a shady shirt. His hair was half covered in a chef's hat while the rest hung on his forehead. He looked more of a chef ready to be shot on a movie while Joe looked more of a professional chef with a clean apron and a confident smile.

"How's the show coming?" Joe asked, ignoring Dylan who had a dirty mind of his own for his own good. "All ready?"

"Yeah, they are good." I nodded my head, looking at the oven. "I just spoke to Austen, my managing director, he says everything is going good."

"The chefs agreed?" Joe asked.

Having given them a short notice, I was scared that some might not turn up. But with the current developments, I was sure I didn't give them a chance to say no.

"I don't understand why we can't be there as chefs." Dylan said, crossing his hands across his chest.

I pinched my lips together, trying not to laugh. Though Dylan and Joe were my head chefs in Jackson's toast, I didn't trust Dylan to head as a chef in the shows. He was too flirty to even consider. Though Joe was okay, I couldn't put one above the other. It was just not fair and besides, I didn't want to do business with friends. It was one rule that I followed rigorously.

"We wouldn't want our reputations to go down the drain now, do we?" Joe asked him and I cracked up. "Remember the time when..."

"You don't have to complete that sentence." Dylan roared.

We had spent a lot of crazier days together and every time Joe said remember the time, Dylan got upset or started to have a shouting session. We talked and laughed waiting for the cake to bake.

The oven gave a small noise and I looked at the cake, taking it out. "I hope this cools you down now." I said, placing the cake on the table. I had to ice it and then decorate. "You do the decorations." I gave it to Dylan and sat on his spot.