Chapter 15

(A/N - I have decided to write this chapter in a slightly different format. Also, the Monaco GP is this weekend! Hope you enjoy:)
——
Lando and Jon ended their workout session after Sky had finished her run. The two lads both said goodbye and Lando headed up to his own room.

He took a warm shower, put on some fresh clothes, sprayed some cologne and left the hotel. It was race day. So, there was a lot of pressure in the paddock.

Lando headed straight to see Zak and Andreas, Charlotte was also with them in their office.
"Morning guys."

"Hey Lando." smiled Charlotte. Zak and Andreas also said good morning to the Brit.
As Lando was about to leave, Zak stood up. "Hey Lando, um, I, I mean, we, actually have something important to discuss with you. Would you mind following us please?"

Lando looked perplexed. He was confused. "Sure." was his only response.

Charlotte led him to the FIA building, and into a further meeting room. He walked in to find Daniel already in there.
"Hey Dan." Lando sat down next to him. "So what's this all about?"

"I don't know mate. I just got told to come and wait here for everyone. Jon pulled me in here."

The door opened again and Sky appeared behind her PR manager, Maria, and Christian.
"Hey Sky?" Lando said.

They were all confused now. What was this about? Well they were about to find out.
Zak stood up.
"Okay. So. As we all know, Formula One is a very demanding sport. There are strict rules and regulations we all have to follow. One being no close relations with opposing teams. For privacy reasons only. And you three have been seen countless times together by the media. More so just Sky and Lando. Whether it's at a race, or in a public place in London."

Sky and Lando exchanged looks. Shit, they know. Sky thought.

"Would you care to explain?" asked Zak.

Sky started off, "Well there's nothing much to it. We are friends, is that a problem?"

Christian stood up. "Actually yes it is. You see, with the media seeing you two together, mainly, both teams have been receiving some interesting points of press and media. Asking whether or not either teams secrets and strategies are being kept secret or not."

"But that's not the case. So why are we here?" asked Daniel.

"You are here because Sky is the only female driver on the grid. And you two, Lando mainly, have been seen outside and in track too many times to count. It's unhealthy for both teams. Like I said, Sky is a female driver. This presents problems and rumours. Like dating rumours etc." Christian hesitated.

Sky sat up in her chair. "What if I was dating one of the boys. What would you do then? Throw me out because I'm a girl and I'm in a relationship with a driver?"

"Unfortunately, we would have to, yes." said Andreas.

Sky felt insulted.

Daniel felt guilty.

And Lando felt intruded.

"Our personal lives are no concern of yours. You have no business in it." said Lando.

"We do if it concerns two drivers." shot back Zak.

Sky looked at Christian. "So what? This is it? I'm being chucked. Because I'm friends with another team?"

Christian nodded, regretfully.

"That's bullshit. Unbelievable." said Daniel.

"Hang on Sky. Not chucked, but we are limiting contact between you. You have been moved hotels to the other side of the city and Jules and Holly will escort you everywhere. Lando and Daniel, you are banned from going anywhere near Red Bull or Sky's hotel. Same rules apply for Sky. No contact between teams."

Lando sank into his chair. How can he ask her to be his girlfriend if they have, basically, a contact ban?
Daniel looked pissed and Sky stood up.

"This is ridiculous. These two lads are friends with every other driver on the fucking grid. A girl suddenly comes along and changes Formula One history, and can't make some simple friends? I know absolutely no one apart from Holly, Maria and Christian. Do you know how that feels? Zak, Christian and Andreas, you know pretty much everyone you come across. Even women. And that's okay. But when a fellow female driver has friends, oh no, we have to stop her. It could send the wrong signals. To be honest, at this point I might as well quit because being given this opportunity was meant to be fun and challenging and hard-working. And now you have made me feel like shit. Thanks. I should've known this when I signed the contract, that I would get pushed aside because of my gender. Fucking stupid. If you'll excuse me, I'm leaving."

Sky finished and walked out, leaving the door open behind her. They all watched her strut away around the corner. Lando and Daniel both felt like shit too.

Lando stood up, it was his turn now.
"Like Sky said. Fucking stupid. The first woman in Formula One and this is how you all treat her. I'll see you later, Dan." He said goodbye to Daniel and also walked out.

The group of team members watching Lando also walk away.

Daniel stood up too.

"Daniel" said Zak.

He interrupted him. "Don't Zak." and he also walked out of the room and off somewhere.

The group of adults looked at each other.
Charlotte and Maria spoke up, "Are you sure this is a good idea?"
"Yeah, Charlie's right. First female and this happens." Maria added.

The two PR managers walked out and away.

Christian and Zak exchanged a goodbye and went their separate ways.

——

Sky had found a quiet spot by all the transport trucks and lorries. She found a chair and sat down, tears welling up in her eyes.

She pulled out her phone and saw a couple of voicemails from Holly and Maria, but ignored them. She just wanted to be alone. Just her, and no care in the world.

Typical they do this on a race day.