Chapter 44

It had been a few days since the party happened, nobody had said anything to me about my contract. I still hadn't made up my mind yet on what I was going to do. Horner wasn't pressuring me into deciding anything yet. I had three weeks. 

We were in Texas, for the US Grand Prix. FP2 had finished and hour ago, and Red Bull were looking strong, we were set for at least one of us on the podium. It would probably be Max rather than me, we all knew he was on the favoured strategy, but I wasn't too fussed, I was just lucky to be given a seat. Holly and I were doing a training session in the gym when my phone pinged on the side. I picked it up and looked what it was; an email. 

An email from Catherine Bond Muir, the CEO of the W Series. "What is it?" Holly enquired. 

"An email, from Catherine Bond Muir. She's the CEO of the W Series." I replied. 

Holly stopped doing her benchpresses, "Thats the all female racing series isn't it?" 

"Mhm. I wonder what she wants.", I opened the email, and read it in detail. "Holy shit Holly." 

She walked over to where I was sat, "What?" 

"She wants to meet with me, to discuss a potential career in the W series." I whispered. 

Holly shook me, "Oh my god, Sky! This is amazing. But what about F1?"

I sighed, and put my phone down, "I'm not sure to be honest Holly. I think, maybe, taking a break from F1 could be good for me. I mean, you've seen how the media and public treat me. It's tough because then I have to sit in the car and perform well. There is just so much pressure on me to do well. Plus, it wouldn't hurt to just hear what she had to say." 

"No you're right. Set up a meeting. Quickly. You don't want to leave Horner waiting." Holly suggested. 

She was right. I needed to sort my future out quickly. I emailed Catherine back almost immediately, as it turns out, the W Series are also racing here at COTA so I set up a meeting for Saturday evening, after qualifying. I wasn't going to tell Christian about it, but I made myself a deal I would tell Lando. After all, he deserved to know. 

------

"Lan? Are you here?" I shouted as I walked into the hotel room. 

I heard a muffled, 'Mhm' come from outside on the balcony. "Hey." 

"Hey Sky. How are you?" he asked, turning to face me. 

I nodded, moving to stand next to him by the railing, "I'm good. I have something to tell you. It's quite important."

"Okay, go for it." he smiled. 

I took a deep breath, "I got an email today, from Catherine Bond Muir, she's the CEO of the W Series, and she wants to meet up and talk about my future. So, I have a meeting with her tomorrow after qualifying." 

Lan's face lit up, "Oh my gosh Sky this is incredible! So, you would be racing in the W Series as well?" 

"No, not as well. More like, instead of." I replied. Glad to see he took it so lightly. 

"So, instead of Formula One?", he was slightly hesitant when he said this sentence. 

I nodded, "Yes. Instead of racing for Red Bull, I would race in the W Series, alongside other women." 

The smile on Lando's face only grew, he pulled me in for a hug immediately. "This is truly, truly amazing Sky. I will support you. No matter what you choose. Have you told Horner yet?"

This time I shook my head, "No, I'm not going to until I know what I want to do with my future." 

"I don't blame you to be honest love. Do you what you feel is right.", and with that he pulled me in for a quick kiss and we headed back inside. 

Qualifying was minutes away, "Let's go Sky. Bring it on." cheered Aid down the radio. I nodded in my seat and I headed out the garage. My first lap was solid, P5, I was through to Q2. I went out again in Q2, I set a 1.39. I stayed P5. I headed out again for Q3 and placed my car nicely in P4. 

"Nicely done Sky." congratulated Horner on the radio. He always came on and said some wise words after quali. 

I got back to my driver room and changed ready for my meeting with Catherine. I had planned to go straight there after my media duties. 

I knocked on the door in the FIA building, "Come in." 

As per the voices request, I opened the door and walked in. "Ah Sky. Good afternoon. Please come and take a seat." 

I smiled at the blonde haired woman, "Thank you. So, how can I help you?" 

She took a deep breath and pulled out a folder, "Sky, I have been incredibly impressed with your Formula One career so far this year! And the progress you have made in society, with being the first female F1 driver. But I have also noticed the stick you are getting, I believe that's unfair, no one should be treated the way you have. No matter what gender they are. I am fully aware you have not been resigned for next year by Red Bull, therefore, I would like to offer you a seat in the W Series." 

My heart lept, this was such an honour. "Wow. This is amazing! So, what would this entail?" 

"Well, for starters, the W Series is a all female racing series with 20 drivers, we have previously only raced over the course of 6 races. But next year we have been given the opportunity to host 10 races. Then hopefully the following season, 12. We will never have a season like the F1 calendar, but still 12 races is more than plenty. If you agree to becoming a W Series driver, you will be on a much less salary than F1. Looking at about £700,000 a year. I know its not much, but as a small racing series looking for sponsors, that is the best we can do. But please, think about it." 

I was shocked, gobsmacked even. To even have been given this opportunity, "Wow! Ms Muir, honestly, this is amazing! As you may have guessed, I will have to sleep on this. It's such a massive honour. And, I have no interest in how much you pay me. That is not something that overly bothers me. But thank you very veer much!" 

Catherine stood up and extended her hand to me, I shook it in return, "No, please Sky. It's my honour. Thank you for agreeing to meet me in the first place."

I smiled, "I'll get back to you as soon as I have made a decision.". Catherine nodded and I turned around and walked out. I had a big decision to make. 

hi guys! sorry for not uploading! I had to revise for my Spanish exams and boy, it was stressful. 

anyways, hope you all enjoyed the chapter! the story is coming to a close now as well. probably 10 or so more chapters to go :/