Chapter 54

happy xmas hols <33

Sunday had arrived, it was race day and Sky and I were at the track, overall I thoroughly enjoyed my birthday yesterday. I got to spend it with my favourite people, minus Mum and Dad. Today looked to be a good day, score some points, a podium if I was extremely lucky. A podium wasn't definite but there was a small chance. We are normally pretty good here in Brazil, so I have high hopes.

Sky was planning on coming to the track with me, and then heading off to the Red Bull hospitality afterwards. We both showered and got ready, Sky obviously being the one who made us almost late. After running to the gates, we made it to track on time, just about. Holly met Sky at the gates to help Sky get to the garage, whilst I sped off with Charlotte. Todays race was important, we needed the points to beat Ferrari, they were beating us at the moment and it wasn't looking good in the championship yet. We hadn't had a very strong second half of the season after Monza, we needed to pick it up big time.

We had just had the pre-race debrief and Daniel and I were walking back to our driver rooms, getting ready to get changed. "So, how are things with Sky? Seems she had a pretty rough past week." he asked.

I nodded, "It's been tough on her. She couldn't decide what to do. I couldn't tell her what to do either, she had to choose for herself. To be honest, I didn't see her for a while after the accident. She wasn't very open to speaking to me, seeing as I'm technically the reason she is on crutches."

"Yeah, it must be hard. But at least she isn't seriously injured and can race again, hopefully, next week. She seems to be healing up well." Danny smiled.

"Yes she is. Luckily, it was just a bit of bruising, so the Doctor took extra precautions and put her on crutches because of our job. Otherwise he would have just told her to rest for a month. But she is doing some exercises with it, regaining the little bit of muscle that was lost, and yes, should be back in Qatar." I explained, Danny listening to every word.

He patted me on the shoulder.

The mechanics were now about to pull the tyre covers off my car, ready to start the formation lap. The lights quickly flashed off and we started the formation lap. I was in P4, I had a good position to hopefully get on the podium, Brazil was a track we had done well at, better than Ferrari anyways. Once again, we lined up on the grid, waiting ever so impatiently for the lights to go out. The next minute, they did. Lights went out, I smashed my foot on the floor as they did. Sending it down the outside of Valtteri Bottas' Mercedes. I think I passed him as we went into turn one. I just had to trust my gut, however my gut was wrong. He suddenly dived down my inside and showed up out of nowhere, I swerved and went of the track into turn two. I nearly spun but just about managed to keep the car the right way round. I rejoined near the back of the pack.

"Fuck! Sorry Will. Where am I?" I asked, annoyed with myself.

There was a short pause, "P17, P17. Don't worry about it Lando, you can get back up there! Pit for a set of hards and we'll go long."

"Copy that."

As I exited the pits, I was P20, which I knew would happen. So all I have to do now is climb back up 16 places. Mazepin was an easy pass, unsurprisingly. So was Nicky. However, Mick put up a bit of a fight, which I enjoyed. Eventually I passed him on lap 4, with DRS. Then I had Yuki, he was once again, a slightly easier pass. Lance Stroll was somewhere in the mix too.

"Double overtake! Brilliant Lando, keep it up." came a message over the radio.

I didn't respond, I just kept my head down and got on with it. I had the two Alfas in front, they should also be an easy pass. And they were, "Italian Jesus" was a pass aided with Overtake and DRS, but Kimi put up a little bit of a fight. He was harsh to pass, I mean he's a world champion! I enjoyed racing against him, and I don't get to do it often.

A little bit of time and passed, 16 laps to be precise, I only know that because Will just told me over the radio. I was in P10, so I had gained a fair amount of places, people were now starting to pit onto hards, my hards were very old now, "Will, how are my tyres?"

"They are doing surprisingly well. I say we go for a few extras on these, then box for some softs near the end."

"Okay, sounds good. Let me know when to pit." I replied. Once again my head went down, Seb was in front, I was gaining slowly on him, I needed to be gaining quicker. So in the turns, I braked later, rode the kerbs and exited quickly as possible. Within one lap there was 0.96 seconds between us, meaning I could use DRS down the main straight. I smashed the DRS button and sent it down the outside, Seb defending the inside line very well. I was running out of track when I got to T1, I braved it and went round the outside, Vettel backed out and I had the place. I sped off down the second DRS straight, right on Carlos' heels.

There he was, the bright red of the Ferrari. Carlos. My former teammate, one of my current best friends. I always try to forget that we're friends when it comes to racing, but that doesn't really work out too well. I think he feels it too. I went for the overtake again down the main straight, however, unlike overtaking Sebastian, I went down inside, he didn't put up too much of a fight, which I was grateful for. Charles was next, and I was P8.

Another chunk of time had passed, I was sat comfortably in P5. Gaining on Sergio in front, and putting some space between me and Pierre behind me.

"Box, box. Box, box." asked Will.

"Copy."

I hit the pit limiter on and entered the pit lane, at 80kmh. I was putting on a set of softs, whilst the others were on old hards or mediums. I had 15 laps to go. Bring it on. I entered the pit box, the mechanics slid my old tyres off, and my news ones on. I was in and out within 2.4 seconds, quick! "Good job boys! Cheers."

As I came out the pits, Pierre Gasly was coming round T2, I put my foot right down once I was over the line and came up alongside him down the straight, luckily I was on the inside. I had the pace, and much fresher tyres, to stay in front of him. I had gained 15 places, this was good. I just needed one more.

One more place. Sergio, I'm coming for you.