Chapter 57

hello 2022!
— hope you all had a good nye!
STAY SAFE AND ENJOY THE CHAPTER, LOVE U ALL XxX

••••••••••••••

Sometimes it can feel like you've known someone forever.

That's how it felt with Lando, I felt like I'd known him for years, and technically I have. I raced against him for years, through all the category's, but never really spoke to him until this year. Nobody wanted to be friends with a woman, especially not a girl who was beating you in the lower categories. But now I am his girlfriend, something I'd never have expected eight years ago when we raced against each other in karts or single seaters. But here we are. He really does mean a lot to me, and I just hope he knows it. We are nearly at the end of the season, and I can't wait to spend hopefully the rest of my life with Lando. 

It was now time for qualifying, I was just doing my race suit up as Horner approached me.

"Hey Christian, how are you today?" I asked, smiling at my team boss and he fist bumped me.

"I'm good thank you Sky. You?"

I smiled, "Hoping for a good solid run, we've got the pace, we just need to prove it."

Christian nodded, "Yes. I have seen the data, good luck with quali. I'll be on the pit wall if you need me."

"Thanks Boss." and with that, I pulled on my balaclava, slid on my helmet and jumped into the car. Raring for Q1 to begin.

I got the all clear to head out, so I gently pressed the throttle and glided down the pitlane. I came out going into Turn 3, ready to warm my set of fresh mediums. I didn't need the soft tyre because we had the pace to get through to Q3 on this set, and then potentially change for the softs. Depending on what our preferred race strategy would be. As a team, we had a brief idea of a strategy, but not too sure just yet. My first run was clean, P5. No need to go again. So we waited patiently for the clock to run out. And it did. Once again, back out for Q2, which is 3 minutes shorter than the previous session. Once again, put a good lap in P4, no need to go again. And finally, Q3, where it all counts. I was still on the mediums, I'd been told Max and I were doing similar strategies so we would both need to qualify well on this compound.

My first run wasn't great, dropped to P8. But my second run was brilliant. Excellent if you do say. In fact it was so good, this message came over the radio. "Sky, that was amazing. Great lap! P2. P2!"

A huge smile was on my face underneath my helmet, "Wow. Oh my gosh guys! Thank you. I know it's not pole, but this is excellent. I take it Max is P1?"

"No actually, George P1, Max P3." replied Aid, slightly shocked himself.

"You mean to say, I beat Max in a quali run?" I asked, questioning it once again.

"Yes Sky! You did! Amazing job to be honest, superb." Aid said before Horner came on the radio himself.

"Well done Sky, super job. Beating Max is not easy, so big congrats to you!"

Beating Max was something I didn't do often, and if I did on the very odd occasion it wouldn't be by much, but the fact that I was 0.4 seconds in front of him! Four tenths! Thats quite a fair amount, and I'm quite proud of what I did. Managing to beat Max wasn't easy! I believe Lando was P5, with a Ferrari either side, and Danny Ric in P8.

After I pulled the car into the garage, Max walked over after he had taken his helmet off, "Congrats Sky! Well deserved!" he said, with a genuine smile on his face as he hugged me.

"Thanks Max. I don't really know where it came from to be honest." I replied, hugging him back.

I got a few fist bumps from different team members and my mechanics, before heading back out to my driver room for some well deserved rest. Despite the fact I qualified in front of Max, I would still have to let him by in the race I expect, mainly for WDC reasons, seeing as Max is in the running for the championship. I checked my phone too, and saw I had some lovely messages from a few friends. I didn't read too much into it, because its not as if I beat him in a race, but my raw quali pace beat him. We were so close to the end of the season, the championship was so so important for Max. He had to win.

After the post quali debrief, and a quick talk about strategy, it had been discussed that at an opportune moment, I would let Max past. I, unfortunately, agreed. To be fair, I'm only a rookie. But thats not the point. Christian made it very clear, Max needs to finish ahead, and I respect that, I am not a dirty driver.

I headed back to the hotel to find Lando in the lobby heading up to our room as well, "Hey baby."

"Hey." I replied, kissing him on the cheek.

"Hhm." he cleared his throat and raised his eyebrows at me.

I chuckled, "Sorry Lan." and gave him a proper kiss to his sweet lips.

He smiled and we stepped into the elevator. "Lando. I'm sorry about yesterday, I shouldn't have shouted at you. I know you trust me, and I trust you. And I'm sorry."

"No Sky. I'm sorry. I regretted everything the moment you walked off. I knew I'd fucked up big time. So I should be the one to apologise, not you. You didn't do anything wrong. You were comforting our friend, and I took it way too far. I'm sorry." he looked at the floor apologetically.

I rubbed his upper arm, "You're forgiven, as long as you let us watch Criminal Minds all night."

Lando smiled, "Okay. Thank you. I love you."

"I know. But I love you even more." I whispered, just as the elevator door opened.