chapter 6

Once we got to the castle, we walk up a few flights of stairs before meeting a woman wearing all black and a pointy hat.

"Welcome to Hogwarts. Now, in a few moments, you'll pass through these doors and join your classmates. But before you can take your seats, you must be sorted into your houses. They are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff... Ravenclaw... And Slytherin. Now, while you're here, your house will be like your family. Your triumphs will earn you points. Any rule-breaking, and you will lose points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup"

"Trevor!" a boy yells and goes forwards.

I look at the ground to see a toad. I'm guessing he's Neville. A couple of kids laugh as he picks up Trevor, and looks up at the teacher.

"Sorry" he says and goes back into the crowd.

"The Sorting Ceremony will begin momentarily" the teacher says and leaves.

"It's true then, what they're saying on the train. Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts" a blonde-haired boy says, and I instantly recognise him as the kid I bumped into on the platform. There's murmuring "This is Crabbe and Goyle. And I'm Malfoy. Draco Malfoy" Draco says, but Ron snickers. Draco stares him down "Think my name's funny do you? No need to ask yours. Red hair and a hand-me-down robe? You must be a Weasley" Draco says and turns back to Harry.

"Don't talk to my friend like that" I say but Draco gives me a death glare, before turning back to Harry.

"You'll soon find out that some wizarding families are better than others, Potter. You don't wanna go making friends with the wrong sort" Draco is looking at Ron, who looks annoyed with Draco "I can help you there" Draco says and holds his hand out for Harry to take.

Harry looks at Draco's hand, then at Draco.

"I think I can tell the wrong sort for myself, thanks" Harry says, and the teacher comes back, tapping Draco's ropes with a rolled up piece of paper or parchment.

Draco looks at the teacher, then Harry again, glaring at him before walking to the side.

"We're ready for you now. Follow me" the teacher says and turns around, walking ahead.

The rest of us follow. She turns a corner, and large doors open, showing an enormous hall filled with kids. There were 4 tables and kids filled up all the tables, but there was some space for us to sit. The ceiling has candles hanging from it and looks like the night sky. It's beautiful.

We follow the teacher to the front of the hall, where an old maroon hat sits on a stool. I look at the table on the right and saw the twins sitting there, along with their brother, Percy. I wave at the twins, expecting whoever was George to wave back and he did, smiling at me.

"Will you wait along here, please?" the teacher asks, and we all bundle up together "Now, before we begin... Professor Dumbledore would like to say a few words" the teacher says, an old man with a really long white beard standing up at the table in front of us.

"I have a few start-of-term notices I wish to announce. The first years, please note... That the Dark Forest is strictly forbidden to all students. Also, our caretaker, Mr Filch, has asked me to remind you... That the third-floor corridor on the right hand side is out of bounds... To everyone who does not wish to die a most painful death. Thank you" professor Dumbledore warns, and sits down again.

"When I call your name, you will come forth. I shall place the Sorting Hat on your head... And you will be sorted into your houses" the teacher unrolls the parchment "Hermione Granger"

"Mental that one, I'm telling ya" Ron says as Hermione walks up to the stool, trying to stop herself from panicking.

Hermione sits on the stool, and the teacher places the hat on her head.

"Ah, right then... Hmm... Right. Okay. Griffindor!" the hat shouts, and the kids at the Griffindor table start cheering and clapping.

"Draco Malfoy" the teacher calls and Draco almost struts to the front, sitting on the stool.

"Slytherin!" the hat shouts before it even touches his head.

Draco smirks, and the Slytherin table cheers for him as he makes his way to the table.

"There isn't a witch or wizard who went bad who wasn't in Slytherin" Ron says and I turn to him, then back to the hat.

"Susan Bones" the teacher calls, a brunette girl walking to the teacher.

I turn to Harry when he winces, and I see him touching his scar.

"Harry, what is it?" Ron asks before I can.

"Nothing. Nothing, I'm fine" Harry says as he's looking at a teacher.

I look back at the hat.

"Let's see... I know. Hufflepuff!" the hat shouts, and the Hufflepuff table cheers as she almost runs to them.

"Ronald Weasley"

Ron hesitantly walks up to the front, sitting on the stool and looking a little scared.

"Ha! Another Weasley. I know just what to do with you. Griffindor!" the hat shouts, and Ron slumpes in the stool, relieved.

The Griffindor table cheers for him and he went to the table.

"Harry Potter"

Harry looks around a little and walks up to the front. I saw professor Dumbledore sitting up in his seat. Harry sat on the stool and the teacher places the Sorting Hat on Harry's head.

"Hmm, difficult, very difficult. Plenty of courage, I see. Not a bad mind, either. There's talent, oh yes. And a thirst to prove yourself. But where to put you?" The hat asks and Harry closes his eyes, whispering something "Not Slytherin, eh? Are you sure? You could be great, you know. It's all here, in your head and Slytherin will help you on the way to greatness, there's no doubt about that. No? Well, if you're sure. Better be... Griffindor!" The hat shouts, and the table erupts into cheers.

I'm waiting for my turn, but everyone else has theirs before me. I'm last. Before the teacher calls my name, however, there is a pause.

"Y/N B... Professor, are you sure?" the teacher asks, and professor Dumbledore nods his head "Potter, yes?" she asks, and he nods again "Y/N Potter" the teacher calls, and I step up, sitting on the stool. The teacher places the hat on my head.

"Potter, eh? Are you sure?" the hat asks the teacher.

"Just get on with it" she says quickly, the hat nodding.

"There's definitely courage, protecting Harry from your cousin. But you want to prove yourself, too. You felt neglected throughout your life and you want- no, need to show others what you're truly capable of. I know where to put you. Slytherin!" the hat shouts.

My entire world stops as I slowly turn my head to look at Harry. His eyes are wide open in shock and I turn to the teacher. She nods her head.

I get up, the Slytherin table cheering for me as I stumble over to them, sitting down. I look at Ron and he looks at me, confusion written all over his face.