chapter 15

"Nonsense! Why would Snape put a curse on Harry's broom?" Hagrid asks, probably thinking were delusional. We were walking into the field.

"Who knows? Why was he trying to get past that three-headed dog on Halloween?" Harry asks.

"Who told you about Fluffy?" Hagrid asks, turning to us.

"Oh, Fluffy's amazing, Hagrid" I say in delight, remembering my time with the three-headed dog.

"Fluffy?" Ron asks, dumbfounded.

"That thing has a name?" Hermione asks.

"Well, of course he's got a name. He's mine. I bought him off an Irish feller I met down at the pub last year. Then I lean him to Dumbledore to guard the..."

"Yes?" Harry asks.

"Shouldn't have said that. No more questions! Don't ask any more questions. That's top secret, that is" Hagrid says sternly.

"But Hagrid, whatever Fluffy's guarding, Snape's trying to steal it" Harry says and Hagrid stops.

"Codswallop. Professor Snape is a Hogwarts teacher"

"Hogwarts teacher or not, I know a spell when I see one. I've read all about them. You've got to keep eye contact, and Snape wasn't blinking"

"Exactly" Harry says, causing Hagrid pause for a moment.

"Now you listen to me, all 4 of you. You're meddlin' in things that ought not to be meddled in. It's dangerous. What that dog is guarding is strictly between professor Dumbledore and Nicholas Flamel" Hagrid says.

"Nicholas Flamel?"

"I shouldn't have said that. I should not have said that. I shouldn't have said that" Hagrid says to himself and walks off.

"Nicholas Flamel. Who's Nicholas Flamel?" Harry asks us.

"I dunno" Hermione says lightly.

~~~~~

It was Christmas time and all the teachers were putting up decorations in the Great Hall. Harry and Ron were playing Wizard Chess and I was watching.

"Knight to E5" Harry says and the knight moves.

I hear Hermione walking to us so I turned to her, then back to the game. Ron looks around the board, then smirks.

"Queen to E5" Ron says and the red queen piece moves, smashing Harry's white knight with her chair.

"That's totally barbaric!" Hermione says, clutching her suitcase in her hand.

"That's wizard's chess. I see you've packed" Ron says.

"I see you haven't" Hermione says in a sassy kind of tone.

"Change of plans. My parents decided to go to Romania to visit my brother Charlie. He's studying dragons there" Ron says.

"Good. You can help Harry and Y/N, then" Hermione says, pointing her head towards us "They're going to go look in the library for information on Nicholas Flamel"

"We've looked 100 times!" Ron complains, but Hermione leans on the table.

"Not in the restricted section. Happy Christmas" Hermione says and walks off.

"I think we've had a bad influence on her" Ron says, shaking his head a little.

"Ya think?!" I ask rhetorically.

~~~~~

I woke up, Christmas morning, to quiet. I was the only first year Slytherin who was staying at Hogwarts and it sounded like I was alone. I got up and looked in a mirror, seeing myself look like a mess. I chuckled at myself and brushed my hair, changing my clothes. I wore an oversized shirt and tucked it into my fluffy trousers.