chapter 26

I was sitting at the Gryffindor table next to Fred and Dean. Ron has a roll of tape and he wraps it hazardly around his wand. He stops and looks at his wand.

"Say it... I'm doomed" Ron says.

"You're doomed" Harry says and I laugh.

"Hi Harry!" a kid says and I see him holding a camera. I look right into the camera but it flashes.

I blink several times and rub my eyes, still seeing light everywhere.

"I'm Colin Creevey. I'm in Gryffindor too"

"Hi Colin. Nice to meet you" Harry says.

"I can't see" I say and rub my eyes again.

"Have you tried blinking?" Fred asks jokingly and I try to smack his arm playfully.

"Hey!" I hear Dean say.

"Oh, sorry" I say, then smack Fred.

I hear an owl and look in the direction of it, faintly seeing Errol, Ron's owl.

"Ron, is that your owl?" Dean asks and Errol screeches.

Errol flies down to the Gryffindor table and over it, trying to land. He falls into a crisp bowl, another flash coming from Colin's camera. Everyone started laughing at Ron while he looked a little embarrassed.

"Bloody birds a menace" Ron says while shaking his head and taking the letter from Errol's mouth.

Errol turns around and stands on his feet before flying away.

"Oh no!" Ron says as he's looking at the letter in fear.

"Look everyone! Weasley's got himself a howler" Seamus says and I turn to Fred, confused.

"If he opens it, you'll see" Fred says and I nod my head, still a little confused.

"Go on Ron. I ignored one from my gran once. It was horrible" Neville says and Ron turns to the letter, hesitantly turning it over.

Ron stares at the seal for a slit second before shakingly opening the envelope.

"RONALD WEASLEY!" the letter yells and Ron drops it on the table. It turned into a mouth "HOW DARE YOU STEAL THAT CAR! I AM ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED! YOUR FATHER'S NOW FACING AN INQUIRY AT WORK AND IT'S ENTIRELY YOUR FAULT! IF YOU PUT ANOTHER TOE OUT OF LINE, WE'LL BRING YOU STRAIGHT HOME!" the letter screams, then turns to Ginny, who is happily eating her food "Oh and Ginny dear, congratulations on making Gryffindor. Your father and I are so proud" the letter says. It turns to Ron and tries blowing raspberry before ripping itself into pieces.

"Oh" I say, then turn to Fred.

"That's why it's called a howler" Fred says.

"That's scary" I say, turning back to the ripped letter.

"It's okay. You won't get one. Hopefully" Fred says and I chuckle lightly.

~~~~~

"Let me introduce you to your new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher... Me" Lockhart says and I groan lightly. He starts walking down the stairs down to us "Gilderoy Lockhart. Order of Merlin, 3rd class, honourary member of the Dark Force Defence League and 5 times winner..." he winks at his moving picture of himself, and the painting winks back before he continues to the front of the class "Of Witch Weekly's Most Charming Smile Award. But I don't talk about that"

"You just did" I say lightly, leaning on my arm.

I look around and see all the girls swooning over him.