Chapter 47

Levi groaned and started to wake up when we pulled into the driveway of Horus's house. "The fuck?" he asked and grimaced while he moved a hand across his head and through his hair. He looked around before he looked at me and scowled, and pain and sadness filled his eyes because he thought that I told her to do it. "What did you do? I thought I said I would go with you, so why did you poison me?"

I scoffed and rolled my eyes while I parked the car and turned off the ignition. "If I wanted to poison you, then you would be dead, Alpha," I said and gave him a pointed look. "I don't poison people just for laughs."

Levi scowled and narrowed his eyes at me. "Fine," he said in a tone that had me scowling. "Then why did you slip something in my drink to make me fall asleep?" He paused and cocked his head. "Again, I already told you that I was going to go with you."

I shook my head and opened the car door while I took off my seatbelt. "That wasn't my doing, Alpha," I said and twisted around to get out. "That was Grams's doing."

Levi groaned and leaned his head on the door, and I looked at him when I heard the gentle thud, wanting to make sure that he was fine. He had his eyes closed, and he looked annoyed. "Did she do it because of you?" he asked, and I shook my head, no.

"Grams did it on her own. She doesn't listen to what I have to say most of the time."

"Hmph," Levi said and kept his eyes closed. "Where are we?" he asked, changing the subject.

"We're at someone's place who I hope has answers for us," I replied dryly. "Come on, and let's go before he decides to open the door and threatens us because we're taking too long to get inside."

Levi opened an eye and looked at me. He slowly blinked while he scowled. "And why would he do that?" he asked.

"Because he is an asshole, and I wouldn't put it past him." I was still peeved about being shot at the night before, so if he did it again, I had no idea what I would do, but I knew that something was going to happen.

"And you want to take me in there?" he asked, and I nodded in confirmation. He paused and studied me. "Why?"

"Because I want my best friend back," I said with a small snap in my voice. I pressed my lips into a thin line and ignored the flinch and his look of pain. "And it's because I am sick and tired of those motherfuckers having control over him and hurting him when he tries to see me."

Levi looked down and set his jaw. "He is not the only one that wants to see you," he said, his voice soft and barely loud enough for me to hear.

I pressed my lips into a thinner line and pretended not to hear him. "Hmph," I said and tapped on the door because I had no idea what to say. I had no idea why he wanted to see me too and wondered if it was because of the bond that was slowly forming between us. "Let's go."

And with that, Levi opened the door to the car and stepped out, not saying another word.

***

I knocked on Horus's door and took a step back while I placed my hands behind my back. My feet were shoulder length apart while I waited, looking more like a King's Guard than I normally did, especially with the stoic expression on my face.

The tension between Levi and me was great, and I was sure that Horus would know as soon as he stepped out of his house.

His gaze was on my back, where it hadn't left since he stepped out of the car. He didn't say a word to me, and I couldn't help but wonder what he was thinking, what he was feeling.

The door to the house opened, and Horus stepped out onto the front porch. He smiled, but I could tell that it was forced. He didn't say a word while he studied us, and Levi shifted on his feet, nervous about this male's unnerving gaze.

I stayed silent and waited for him to do something. I was also nervous in front of him, especially since I knew that whatever happened to me had to be connected with him because seeing him and then talking with Salem were the last things I remembered before my memories were changed, even though they didn't take root like the person who did this to me thought it would. However, I made sure that Horus wouldn't know or pick up on it.

Horus smiled and slowly nodded, and his whole body relaxed. "I am glad that you took my advice and dressed like that, Miss DeLamont," he said, pleased. "I wasn't pleased that you came to see me as the Viper."

I gave him a blank look, even though I was silently cursing him for bringing her up in front of Levi. "I have no idea what you are talking about," I said. "I am not the Viper."

Horus scowled and narrowed his eyes. "Now, now," he scolded, and I raised an eyebrow in question. "You are the Viper, Alexandra May. You and she are one and the same."

"Alexandra?" Levi asked, and I could feel his gaze on me, even though I didn't meet it. "What is he talking about?"

I sighed and closed my eyes before I opened my eyes and looked at Horus, praying that I wasn't digging myself an early grave. "I hope that you will make sure that they don't know," I said, terse, and Levi stiffened beside me because that was a slight confirmation that I was her. "Mindy is already suspicious of me, and I do not want Bryant to know because he is such a dick."

Horus grew smug and gestured for us to enter the house and into the dining room. "Why do you think I had your mother knock him out? Hmmm?" he asked and raised an eyebrow. "Yes, he is still controlled, but he isn't able to tell him that information."

I didn't respond and walked the rest of the way into the house and to the kitchen, where I knew that a cup of tea would be waiting. My whole body was tense, and my heart pounded hard in my chest because I had no idea how either Levi would react when he found out that I was the Viper.

"Wait," Levi said and grabbed my arm before I reached the kitchen. He didn't try to get me to look at him, and I had no idea if I was happy or sad about it. "Are you the Viper?"

I sighed and closed my eyes. "I said that Mindy was suspicious of me," I said coldly. "What do you think it means?"

Levi scowled, and I knew that he narrowed his eyes at me. "It's a yes or a no answer, Alexandra. Are you the Viper?"

I turned around and looked at him with a blank look on my face. I made sure that he couldn't see the pain, the fear, that came with admitting this because I had no idea how he would react to the news.

So, with a mocking sigh and hiding my true feelings, I nodded and said, "yes." I paused and cleared my throat, praying that he wouldn't be too mad at me for telling him that I wasn't when I was trying to protect him and myself from the people that were trying to harm us.

"I am the Viper."