Prologue

Three days ago

I stared at my best friend from the top of a hill on our pack lands. My brown eyes were trained on the female before him, and I couldn't help but scowl down at her. I watched as she walked away from him, leaving a broken male where one of my best friends used to stand.

My Alpha, and best friend, looked after the girl that rejected him before falling to the ground. He didn't make a single sound, and that told me how much he was hurting. His back moved up and down, and I knew that he was trying not to cry.

I lifted my head to the sky and closed my eyes, praying that my pack will still be strong even without the female we were supposed to call Luna. I, also, prayed to the Moon Goddess that I would be strong enough to help lead the pack as he tried to cope with his feelings.

He lifted his head and turned it to the side, knowing that I was behind him. "I know that you are there," he said, his voice shaking a bit. "Are you here to make fun of me?"

I bit back a snort and walked down the hill towards him. My eyes were trained on his back every once in a while while I tried to make sure that we were both safe. "What type of best friend would I be if I did that?" I asked, looking the way she had went after rejecting him. "You didn't make fun of me."

"Your mate died in front of you. Why should I put you through misery when you were already there?"

I shrugged my shoulder, my heart breaking. I hated that I was still mourning the loss of my mate, even though it had been four years ago, and I didn't even catch his name. "You are in misery right now," I pointed out. "I don't think that I should add to it."

He chuckled, darkly before sighing. "Will we survive?" he asked, finally. He did not look at me and just looked at the ground. "Will we survive this?"

I shrugged my shoulder, not knowing the answer. "I think we will survive without a Luna, but," I placed my hand on his shoulder and squeezed it reassuringly, "I know that we will not survive without our Alpha."

Levi, my Alpha, didn't say a word. He grabbed my hand and squeezed it while both of us watched the area where his mate had been standing, even though she was long gone.