Chapter 17

"You know, one of these days, you are going to die," the disgusting voice of Mindy said when she caught sight of me going outside of my house the next morning. She looked at her nails and moved her hand around. "And I am just going to laugh."

I scowled and ignored her while I locked the door to my house. I had no idea why she was here, but she would not get in, especially with that attitude.

Mindy waited for me to acknowledge her presence and scoffed when I merely treated her like a pest. "You know, I can call them and tell them about your precious meetings with Levi and have them make him not come to you anymore." She waved her phone in front of my face. "How does that sound?"

I scoffed and rolled my eyes. "Threatening me will get you nowhere, Mindy," I said coldly. "I hope you know that."

"I beg to differ," Mindy said, smirking. "It got you to acknowledge my presence, did it not?" She raised an eyebrow and placed her phone back into the tiny purse she had on her arm. "I mean, I wouldn't blame you. He is hot in bed."

I gave her a blank look. I knew that she was trying to rile me up, and it worked to some extent, but I was not going to give her the satisfaction of doing so. "What do you want?" I asked coldly. "Why are you here?"

"You know that you can't win, right?" she asked, not even answering my question as to why she was standing in front of me. She stalked around me, and I watched her with half closed eyes. "I mean, you aren't strong enough to fight the people who are after you." She stopped in front of me and folded her arms across her chest.

"Perhaps not," I mused, cocking my head and studying her. I watched as she shifted on her feet and bit back a smirk, knowing full well that I was making her anxious, but I knew that she didn't want me to know that I did make her nervous. "Or, perhaps I am. What do you know about me?"

Mindy shrugged and composed herself. "Enough," she replied. "I know that you don't know anything about your bloodline." She was teasing me, trying to get me to fall into a trap that she thought I would fall into. She cocked her head and studied me, looking at me as if I was some prey and not the predator I was. "Are you interested?" she asked.

"No," I replied bluntly and scowled at her. "I am not interested in what you have to offer, so please leave me the hell alone."

"No," she replied. "I know about your little... date with that girl," she said, circling me again. "What would you say if her car... blew up on accident?"

"You will have a ton of Warriors on your skanky ass and a pissed off Alpha Male. I do not think you should risk it, Mindy, especially when it deals with a family member of them."

Mindy raised an eyebrow and scowled. "And what do you mean by that?" she asked, taking a step forward and getting into my face. "The way I see it, she is someone that you care about, and if you don't want her to get killed, then you should stop seeing her." She got more into my face, and it took all of my self-control not to bash my fist against her nose.

"I mean that she is related to one of the Kingsmen by the forces of mateship," I replied, standing my ground. I raised an eyebrow and placed my face in hers. "I mean, one is her brother-in-law, and if you want him on your ass, then you should do it."

She lifted her head, her heart pounding in her voice. "I am not scared of him," she said, her voice shaking slightly. "What can he do?"

"Call Viper," I replied, all but purring. I smirked when her eyes widened in shock, knowing full well that she knew who I was talking about. "He could call Viper, and there is no way in hell they can protect you from her."

"She is a myth, a legend," Mindy said. She took a step back, her face paling. "She isn't real, but somebody used to scare children." She watched while I started to circle her, her eyes going wide.

"She is?" I asked, cocking my head. "Is she a myth, or do you want her to be? A shadow in the dark that is what she is, a seductress, and able to make any male or female fall for her." I leaned closer to her and watched as she took a step back. "Isn't she?"

Mindy gulped and cleared her throat. She took another step back, her heart pounding in her chest. "You can't get her back," she said, her voice shaking. "She is someone that no one can contact. She is a ghost."

"I am sure that the king can," I replied. I shrugged my shoulders. "I mean, it is said that she works closely with them and will appear when he calls."

"Then she is a puppet," Mindy said, hesitantly. She watched as I circled her, becoming more like prey as the minutes. Her face grew pale, and I could tell that she was second-guessing herself. She didn't want to be here any longer. She knew that she didn't control the situation as she wanted, and it scared her.

"Perhaps," I hummed, cocking my head. "Or, she is letting him pull strings for not only his safety but hers as well."

She opened her mouth to say something but stopped when there was a screech of tires and the sound of 'I don't care, I love it' filling the air around us. Mindy jerked back in surprise, but I groaned, knowing full well who was near pack grounds and why.

'Alpha,' Carver linked, amused. "Your date has arrived in a red convertible. Shall I send her home?'

I scowled. 'She won't go home. Send her this way.'

'Yes, Alpha. She is on the way.'

"What was that?" Mindy asked, and I looked at her to see that she was still anxious and nervous. She gulped and looked at me before looking in the direction that the song came from.

I smirked. "The Viper," I replied. "She is on her way to make you pay, so I suggest you run as fast as your little legs can carry you. And do not look back."

Mindy didn't say a word and sprinted back to the packhouse as fast as she could while Analina pulled up to the curb and pulled to a screeching halt.

Tossing her black and brown hair out of her face, Analina took her sunglasses off and grinned at me, her eyes filled with mischief. She turned down the music, but it was still loud to my sensitive hearing. "Get in, Loser," she called out in her best "Regina George" voice. "We're going shopping."

I groaned, wondering if I should have taken Mindy's offer to know what she knew about my family and sulkily got into the car with her.

Analina squealed out happily and hugged me, and I gave her one half-heartedly. "We are going to have so much fun!" she exclaimed. "I can not wait!"

"Nor can I," I mumbled, rolling my eyes.

Analina laughed but didn't reply while driving away from the house to start whatever torture she had planned for me.