Chapter 54

Horus shook his head and cleared his throat and shifted on his seat. "I-"

"Wait, what?" Levi asked, interrupting Horus, and the male scowled. He looked at me and then looked at Horus, shocked. "What is she talking about?" He looked at me again while he furrowed his brows. "What are you talking about? What do you mean by killing him?"

I didn't respond and folded my arms across my chest as if I was protecting myself from the world. I shrugged and pressed my lips into a thin line, not knowing what to say.

Horus frowned and shook his head, displeased with our reactions. "It was written that he would die that day," he said softly. "It wasn't written that you would be the one to kill him, but it was said that he was to die."

I didn't respond and set my jaw. My heart pounded hard in my throat, and it took all of my self-control not to lash out at him, even though I knew that it would be futile.

My heart ached and yearned for the male that I had been mated to before Levi, even though I knew that it wasn't possible for us to be together.

However, I yearned for the male beside me even more. I yearned for him like the air that I breathed, wanting him and taking him as well as claiming him as my own.

I wanted him in every shape and form and for him to bear my mark where it showed that he belonged to me.

But I couldn't have him bare my mark just yet, not while he was in control of another.

Horus cocked his head and studied me with his unseeing eyes. Pain filled them when I met his gaze, and we stared at each other, staying silent.

"Do you still want him?" Horus asked, breaking the silence that had fallen on us. His voice was solemn and grave while he looked at me, waiting for an answer that I only had. "Or do you want the male beside you?"

Levi grew tense and looked at me. He didn't say a word while his heart pounded hard in his chest while he waited for me to answer, praying that I would say him and not this man that neither of us knew.

I didn't reply, unfolded my arms from my chest, and placed my hands back onto the table, my hand barely touching Levi's. I kept my gaze on the older man, making sure that my heart pounded steadily in my chest and not to show my emotions.

Levi looked at my hands and then at me while he waited for me to answer Horus, but I didn't; I couldn't.

Hesitantly, he moved his hands closer to mine and brushed his fingers against them, leaving a shot of lightning that went from my hand and throughout my body, and my heart skipped a beat before it started to pound faster.

I took his hand in mine and brought his hand to my lips, leaving a single soft kiss on his hand.

He was the one that I chose. He will always be the one that I chose, no matter who the Moon Goddess set me up with in this lifetime or next.

Levi's whole body sagged with relief when I set that silent kiss on his hand. He understood that I chose him over my first mate and would choose him no matter at what cost in this lifetime or the next.

Horus also understood my silent answer and relief filled the old man's face because I chose him. He slowly nodded and cleared his throat. "Good," he praised the relief evident as if he had been slightly worried.

Again, he looked at only Levi and grew serious while he cleared his throat and sat straighter in his sleep. "And now, sleep."

Thud.

***

Levi stirred again when I pulled into my grandmother's driveway and groaned in pain and annoyance.