Chapter 13

Into 2012 now :)

"And Elena will be safe?" Damon asked. He was a Salvatore, very touchy and protective over his brothers girlfriend.

Elijah stood quietly, he did not have the need to lie to him, he had made a deal with Elena that he win protect every single loved one she has. The catch was that she needed to take her life in order to kill Klaus.

"Elijah" Stefan snapped him out of thought

"I'm afraid I can't answer that, it's strictly between me and Elena" he swiped some hair out of his face and sat down with a drink "speaking of the lovely Elena" he smiled, watching her timidly walk in with Bonnie by her side.

Damon flashed a look to Elena, understanding what she had agreed to. "There has to be another way"

Elijah raised both of his hands in a gesture to say he had nothing else to do. All he cared about was his brothers demise and anyone else would be collateral damage.

"So that's all you care about huh?" Damon snapped, Stefan kept surprisingly calm "getting your way"

"That's all I love for" he tilted his head to look at Stefan, waiting for him to say something

"Haven't you ever been in love Elijah?" Stefan asked calmly

"I can't say I have not, love ends, people die; I've never really believed in it since..." He began but was rudely interrupted

"...Katherine, yeah we know" Damon butted in

"Close enough" Elijah squinted his eyes into a sarcastic smile that aimed at Damon

Elena tilted her head, she thought about what he meant by 'close enough' but the conversation had progressed before she could ask

"Maybe I can do a spell?" Bonnie interrupted "to preserve life or anything like that?"

"You're too weak Bonnie" Elijah spat "the only witch who could do that would be my mother and as I recall, she is dead"

"Well the least I could do is some research, anything that can help me" she argued back, turning to the books and searching through "I swear, a witch legend states that a girl..." She began "oh damn it I can't remember"

Bonnie returned to her bag and pulled out a leather book, very ragged, even more so than Emily's grimoire

"Another grimoire?" Damon scoffed

"It's not a grimoire, it's a journal belonging to one of my ancestors, believed to be named Eleanor" she shot a look back to Damon. Elijah's ears perked up at the name

"What year is that?" He sat up even more and placed his drink on the table

"Uhm somewhere between the 1600's to the 1700's, it's old, I can't read most of it but that's where my grams got this story/legend from" she flicked through the pages

Elijah grew intrigued, the past coming back to him again .

"Aha here it is, there was a girl, it doesn't say her name, just AS, I think it's her initials. She was human, her blood was powerful though, if I can find her body; maybe I can harness at least some power from her bones? She would have decomposed by now" she explained

"But you don't know who she is or where she is buried" Elijah lied, he knew who this girl was. He didn't want to talk about her.

"I can read up on it, find out places, I know it's in England, already a step there" Bonnie smiled hopefully

"Hey Elijah, weren't you in England in the 1600's" Damon winked, noticing Elijah's past. He gave a deathly glare to Damon

"Why yes I was but I didn't come across such a girl" Elijah lied again, taking a sip of the amber liquid that he picked up from the table.

Bonnie immediately got up and walked out of the room hastily to research.

Elijah feared that she would find Anastasia but he didn't want her to be exploited, even after all these years.

In those years, Elijah had fallen for someone else; he didn't love her, he had never felt love after Anastasia, but Katerina was the girl that made him feel human again.

Obviously, everyone knew about the Petrova Doppelgänger who escaped her fate by turning into a vampire, yet nobody knew about Anastasia, and he intended it to stay that way.

"That's my que" Elijah smiled and got up. His original idea was to follow Bonnie and threaten her, if she looked into it, he'd hurt her. But Bonnie is part of Elena's list and he was not going to break his word.

He sighed and returned to his black car with the blacked out windows and sat there for a while.

10 years had gone by since the death of Anastasia. Elijah stood by the water and looked out on it. It was a ritual he did every year on the exact day she died.

He twiddled a small Rose between his finger and examined it throughly. Every year he chose the most unique and prettiest Rose to throw out into the water to symbolise, the prettiest and most unique girl he had known falling into the water. It also made him feel peace, as if her spirit roamed the waters, she would at least have a flower to look at.

"Are you okay my Lord" a delicate voice asked from behind him

"I'm fine Katerina, just admiring the water" he turned to welcome her to his side. He preferred to be alone in this time, but Katerina made him feel something, something he had not felt in a while.

Although, the feeling Anastasia brought to him screamed love, upon meeting Anastasia, he believed he had never loved before.

Katerina on the other hand, held his affection, as he gave to Tatia. But the only love he had felt died 10 years ago.

"Beautiful isn't it?" She smiled, looping her arms within his and nuzzled her head in his neck.

It was no where near as comfortable as Anastasia's head, she was soft and her hair was smooth however; Katerina's just felt normal.

Elijah turned his head, he knew that in a few short days, Katerina would be dead just like Anastasia.

Elijah came back to reality, not feeling hurt from Katerina's escape or the fate that was chosen. He only felt the regret of being with her, every essence of him told him not to, ever memory with Katerina still compared to Anastasia's.