32: The Calm

The warm glowing sun reflected into the set of black eyes as they gazed up at the sky

The warm glowing sun reflected into the set of black eyes as they gazed up at the sky. A slender finger pointed towards the puffy cloud floating through the sea of blue.

"That one looks like a bunny kind of," Obsidian spoke softly.

Zeldris squinted, trying to see what she did, though found it rather difficult. All he saw was mindless shapes with no purpose, yet she was capable of seeing so much more. Something so mundane to Zeldris, Obsidian was able to make into a creation in her mind. Maybe he desired this ability, too. To see things the way she did. Maybe he, Zeldris, would be a little more relaxed if he simply opened up his mind to more possibilities.

He looked over at her still examining the clouds then bit his lip. She was so at peace in this moment. She had never smiled as much as she did now... No, he couldn't ruin that. Estarossa had been correct in his assumption. Obsidian's entire mood would shift and her trust in him would fade if he confided in her. It appeared his terrible secret would have to remain just that.

Zeldris sighed, lifting himself up and smoothing out the wrinkles in his grey t-shirt. He noticed the bright flora beside him as Obsidian shifted her head onto his lap. "A flower," he picked a pretty purple one from the grass. "For my flower." He kissed her cheek then rubbed it with his hand.

Obsidian blushed as he placed the flower in her hair. Even after all this time, he still found ways to make her cheeks go red. The nickname had also been unexpected as Zeldris didn't often refer to her as anything outside of O and 'babe', so the new name was a pleasant surprise.

"Zel." Her hand hid her face.

"I still got it." He wiggled his eyebrows earning a middle finger.

"This is nice. We don't get to relax often." Obsidian sprawled out more in the grass. She held out her hand for Zeldris to take.

"I know, princess."

"When will this all be over?" Obsidian asked him. "I'm growing weary of fighting."

"I'm... not sure," he replied truthfully. The war had been going on for far too long and they were still no closer to fully conquering Brittania. "It's my fault." Zeldris squeezed her hand.

"No it's not," Obsidian countered.

He leaned down to kiss her forehead. "I promised that I would win this war for you, and I've yet to do so. What kind of prince does that make me? What kind of man does that make me if I can't protect you? The woman I love?"

"But—"

"Yeah, I know. You don't need me to protect you. You can handle your own. But it doesn't stop me from worrying." Zeldris's death grip on Obsidian's hand turned her expression into concern. "Everyone says to stop hovering and let you be free, but I can't. It terrifies me to know that you might die." He dropped her hand. "But you're a warrior. A remarkable, brave, intelligent warrior. I should have more faith in your capabilities."