40: The Demon Prince

Zeldris's heart pounded through his ears as the entire world seemed to shine a spotlight on him

Zeldris's heart pounded through his ears as the entire world seemed to shine a spotlight on him. He slid through the dirt and immediately hopped onto his feet, refusing to stay down and let his brother claim a victory over him. His face and clothes were rich with blood and grime, and despite the power imbalance, he still possessed the will to fight.

Time and time again he'd had to prove himself living a good chunk of his life in Meliodas's shadow. But no longer would he be compared. Prince Zeldris was his own man, a prince far more worthy and the one to succeed their father when the time came. He was twice the man his brother ever was. He wasn't afraid. He would never succumb to his fears. Zeldris had to protect them, had to protect her. If he couldn't do that, he had no right to call himself a leader.

"You are so annoying," Meliodas sighed heavily. "Just don't know when to quit, do you?"

"I will never run from a battle. I will never turn my back when my people need me!" Zeldris yelled, reclaiming some of his lost energy. "And that is why I'm going to be the next Demon King!"

"You sound more and more like me." Meliodas was impressed by Zeldris's will.

"I am nothing like you!"

"That's not true, little bro... You're everything like me." Meliodas used one thousand divine cuts. Unlike any other, Zeldris refused to fall. His body wouldn't allow it yet. It wasn't over. "So annoying. How about I put you out of your misery already and end your insufferable life?"

"Sorry, but I don't plan on dying today." Sweat dripped down Zeldris's forehead.

"It's either you or me, and trust me when I say it's not gonna be me," Meliodas said.

"We'll see about that."

Their weapons clanged as they had their sword fight. Zeldris took pride in his swordsmanship and knew when it came down to it, he couldn't lose. He had been trained by the best and dedicated his life to the way of the sword, so in this area of combat, the advantage was his.

Meliodas swung his sword and it clashed with Zeldris's. They struggled against each other, both intent on taking the other down and claiming victory over this prolonged battle.

"Father was right, you aren't fit to lead," said Meliodas with a vindictive grin. "You're too much of a bitch."

"Shut up and fight me!" Zeldris wouldn't let Meliodas's words get to him anymore. He couldn't waver when so many people depended on him. He had to do it for her and fight 'til the bitter end.

"How do you think Obsidian feels carrying you? She is the foundation of your entire army, is she not? Without the heart, you're nothing."

"I don't know why you're still talking when I'M NOT LISTENING!" Zeldris's sword unleashed a powerful magic that spiraled upwards then curved to aim at his brother.