24: A Friendly Shoulder

"Back for more?" Meliodas asked, his voice hoarse and tired as he looked up at his brother through a swollen eye

"Back for more?" Meliodas asked, his voice hoarse and tired as he looked up at his brother through a swollen eye. His face was caked in dry blood and grime though he still smiled. The last few days, Zeldris had put him through pure hell. Something was pissing him off, that much was clear, but Meliodas wasn't typically one to ask questions. Not that he would've gotten an answer, anyway.

Zeldris cracked his knuckles, not willing to speak today which didn't go unnoticed. Meliodas commented on his quiet demeanor and how it was unlike him. He wondered what could possibly be bothering him that had gotten so bad, it kept Zeldris at a loss for words.

"What's the matter, little bro? You've gone emo mode on me."

Zeldris faced the opposite wall, trying hard not to show any emotion. Meliodas remained persistent. What had little Zeldris so upset? Was it the humans? Father, maybe? Was it his girlfriend? A quirk of the mouth indicated Meliodas had found his answer.

"Obsidian's a hurricane, you knew what it was when you signed up for it."

"Who asked you?" Zeldris still faced away from him.

Meliodas shrugged. "Hey, I'm just saying. She's psychopathic."

This made Zeldris spin around immediately. He didn't stand for any Obsidian slander. Ever. "What did you just say?" His fuse was ready to blow.

"Oh, come off it. Obsidian has always been a wild card and the smallest things set her off. She's chaotic and I'll admit a bit scary, but her crazy is absolutely unmatched."

Zeldris grabbed a fistful of his shirt and got into his face. The prince was enraged as he yelled at him. "If you ever speak of O like that again I'll beat you to death."

"You may think you've seen O at her worst, but you haven't. Her power is insane and actually will be out of her own control if she's pushed too far."

"Shut up!"  Zeldris said as he scanned Meliodas's face.

"How well do you really know Obsidian, little bro?"

"Better than you ever will!" He said with such confidence.

Meliodas smiled. "You sure about that?"

"What the hell is that supposed to mean? You think you know her better than I do?"

"Well, yeah." The blonde looked up at the ceiling, reminiscing of Zeldris's girlfriend. Despite their conflict now, he did miss her friendship that closely mirrored what he now had with Ban. "We had some good times."

"That's all in the past. I know Obsidian better than anyone else. You may have been her friend once, but not anymore. You have no idea the person she grew into."

"If you say so," Meliodas said and was released into the wall.

"You think you're so smart, don't you? Think you're better than me, better than all of us." Zeldris clenched his fists tightly. "How can you still be so arrogant when you've been stripped of your dignity and freedom?"