23: Solo Mission

"Well, well, well." Obsidian smirked as she closed in on Liones. She landed on top one of the castle's high ledges balancing precariously.

Griamore's attempts at fighting her was just what was needed to pull Obsidian away from the main focus and she was able to give her friends the slip with relative ease. The dummy mission of joining Estarossa's search team was a perfect enough distraction to keep Zeldris off her back. She didn't tell anyone of her true intentions which weren't to capture Meliodas, but his precious girlfriend. She knew the girl wasn't here and was instead tagging along with the Seven Deadly Sins, but in order to understand what made her tick was what brought Obsidian here in the first place. Surely there were people who knew her—friends, family... They had to have knowledge of this girl.

She closed her eyes. Her long purple tresses transformed into normal brown hair that fell down her back. Her clothes were casual consisting of a black tee and skirt. When her eyes opened, they glimmered purple and looked down on the large capitol. This would be fun.

The plan was solid—infiltrate the city, get as much information as possible, then go after the goddess, and enslave her until Meliodas was forced into confrontation.

Obsidian wondered where the great former leader could be hiding. His home was getting decimated and yet, he did nothing to stop it from happening... And that made this entire situation extremely weird. Meliodas was many things, but he was a protector of his own—whoever that may be at the time. After Estarossa had killed him, something must've changed. That unhinged look with a hint of lust in Meliodas's eyes that she had been met with in their last encounter was all too familiar. It was the same look he used to give when... It had been like the old Meliodas she used to know had come out of him. The one who existed now would never in a million years be so ruthless.

Something had happened when he died, she could sense it. There was a change. The entire mystery of his death and resurrection was always in the back of her mind. The only one powerful enough to bring him back to life would be—

The realization nearly knocked Obsidian off balance. Her eyes darted to and fro trying to piece together her thoughts. How could she be so stupid? If neither her or Melascula resurrected the Demon King's son, then it had to be the Demon King himself. How foolish of her to overlook such an obvious answer. But the question was why? Why would he? As far as anyone was concerned, Meliodas had lost the right to his father's leniency and mercy. He didn't deserve the crown and that torch was to be passed to Zeldris, the true heir to the throne.

Obsidian had to speak with Zeldris, but given where she was and her plan, she couldn't just yet. The mission had to stay the same regardless of the information she now knew. There couldn't be any distractions.

"I've missed you..."

Meliodas's gruff voice echoed. She turned her head to see an image of him sitting there beside her dressed as he did as leader of the Commandments.  His demon mark was on full display and a wicked smile played on his face. His eyes were dark and menacing and it made Obsidian's eyes squeeze shut longing for the days when he was one of them. When he was in his prime. They were once so close, confiding in each other when they couldn't talk to anyone else. She was his second and took her role seriously, never shying away from her duty to stay by his side.

The conjured image made her smile sadly knowing it was only a figment of her imagination and nothing more. Yet, it felt so real. It was like they were really sitting there together again like back in the good old days.

Meliodas held a hand out to her, waiting for her to take it, though she didn't. "You don't miss me?"  He frowned.

Tons of 'what-ifs' had continuously floated through her mind day by day.  What if Meliodas has never betrayed them? What if the Demon Clan hadn't been sealed away for 3,000 years? None of those questions mattered now. What was done was done. It was time to start looking forward and stop looking back.