38: Something Wicked

"Are you feeling it yet, Merlin? Are you feeling that dread buried deep within you transforming into absolute fear and submission?" Obsidian lifted off the floor and levitated in the middle of the room

"Are you feeling it yet, Merlin? Are you feeling that dread buried deep within you transforming into absolute fear and submission?" Obsidian lifted off the floor and levitated in the middle of the room. Her hair whipped around her as she attacked Merlin with not even a quarter of her power. There was so much more to the great Obsidian that had yet to be discovered, and today, the daughter of Belialuin would find out just how ruthless the demon could be.

Merlin tried to catch her breath for a moment, wiping away the blood dripping into her eyes. She needed a plan and she needed one now. She made a move to get up until her coat became pinned to the floor by Obsidian's knives.

"Leaving so soon? But we're having so much fun."

Merlin screamed as she was slammed into the far wall of the room. She groaned when she hit the floor and took a few breaths. Enduring Obsidian for this long was pushing her to her limit and it was a wonder that Merlin still had the heart to continue.

Obsidian had devolved into the absolute merciless warrior she had once been. Merlin had been worn down, but it wasn't enough. She was going to feel all the pain and rage Obsidian had been feeling. She floated there, frowning, unable to crack a smile like she often did. This moment was full of violent rage and contempt. There was nothing to smile about now.

"Oh, no you don't. You're not passing out on me yet, Merlin." A dark tentacle grabbed the mage by the hair and forced her head up. "Did you really think you could compete with, let alone blackmail, me? Do you know who I AM?" Another tentacle slapped the mage.

"Now, Obsidian, surely you can't think of me to be that foolish." Merlin remained calm in her face despite her fears. "You are one of the Demon King's greatest weapons, after all."

"Weapon? I think you're confused."

"I think you're the one confused." Despite the situation, Merlin still had it in her to play her mind games. "Do you really believe that anyone sees you as anything else? You're the one to dive head-first into a fight, you have that warrior spirit that burns in you. Why stray from that?"

"Don't," she tightened her grip. "Think you can get into my head. Do you take me for a lowly red demon? Think you can speak and confuse me? It doesn't work that way." Her feet touched the ground. "I wasn't blessed with a commandment purely for my fighting capabilities, but I wouldn't expect someone like you to know that. I do have to say, though, I now understand how you became allied with Meliodas. Two traitors working together? It's to be expected."

"Speaking of, I've been thinking... and something isn't quite adding up to me." Merlin ignored everything she'd just said. She looked the demon directly in the eyes. "If Meliodas came here, why didn't you kill him?"