10: Uncertainty

Elizabeth watched Meliodas silently as he feasted on breakfast, devouring his food entirely and rather messily. It was as if he'd been starved for days the way he tore through his meal, his tongue running across his lips to collect the remnants of food gathered there. It was quite repulsive to watch and he'd never ate like this before. Her long silver hair fell into her eyes as she observed him. She could sense the change within him, they all could, but it didn't make it any less unsettling.

Ever since his ressurection, a dark force had manifested itself in his soul. It was what drove Meliodas to murder the demon, Fruadrin, so brutally with no remorse. The last time she had seen him this way, Meliodas had nearly killed his own friends. That Meliodas, so dark and sadistic, was one Elizabeth never wanted to encounter again, and yet, traces of that beast still remained in the boy sitting across from her.

Meliodas noticed her keeping her distance and frowned. "What's on your mind, Elizabeth?" He asked, extending an arm across the table.

"N-nothing, Sir Meliodas," she replied shyly, twirling her hair between her fingers. She felt herself blushing when he stared at her.

Desperately she tried to surpress her negative thoughts and emotions flowing through her mind feeling as if he could hear every single one. She hated feeling this way, but couldn't help it as she was still processing.

Suddenly, a hand to her breast. Back to his regular self, apparently. Elizabeth squealed as she tried to swat his hands away from her body. He was such a pervert! And it didn't help that his touch felt so foreign to her now. She wasn't sure she even knew who he was anymore.

"Hey, Captain," Ban said, coming into view.

Elizabeth shoved Meliodas's hands off of her and held herself, avoiding eye contact with him. Meliodas felt her distantness and it stung a bit seeing her behave this way. Usually, Elizabeth would simply tell him to stop but the complete lack of emotion in her eyes was enough to make him resent himself more than he already did.

The princess stared down at the table as Ban stepped further into the room. He had similar feelings to Elizabeth. He was concerned and rightfully so after Meliodas had so brutally murdered Fraudrin. Sure, he was a monster who'd killed hundreds of people, but the look in Meliodas's eyes and that eerie grin when he slaughtered the Commandment so effortlessly was sickening.

"Everything O.K. here?" Ban asked of Elizabeth after seeing her so down in the dumps.

"We're fine, Ban," Meliodas answered for her as he took a sip of his bevarage.

"I was asking her," Ban stated, not looking away from Elizabeth. He studied her non-expressive face.

Meliodas slammed down his glass. "And I said she's fine."

Elizabeth jumped at his tone. Where was the sweet boy she loved so dearly? Where was her Meliodas?

Ban rose an eyebrow and Elizabeth hastily nodded to confirm she was alright. He sunk his hands into his pockets as he came to stand beside the sitting leader. "Captain, I just wanted to apologize for my behavior before. I was just... shocked."

Meliodas put a hand on his shoulder, his attitude changing. "It's alright, buddy!" He said in that chipper voice of his. "I understand. I was a little surprised myself. It felt kinda weird back there, but strangely good somehow."

"Yeah... Things were getting pretty crazy.

"It's behind us now, though." Meliodas continued to eat.

"I -- I'm sorry I couldn't save you," Ban said.

Meliodas smiled sweetly. "My brothers are pretty strong, Ban. They'd do anything to kill me so I don't expect you to be able to stand up to them on my behalf. Your gesture was kind, but you put yourself in danger to save me."