45: Til the Bitter End

* * *

* * *

Medusa walked aimlessly around the castle, her long, tattered dress dragging across the floor. She puffed out her cheeks, not knowing what to do with herself. Everyone had split up doing their own thing around the castle and she'd been left all alone. Even Ace had abandoned her in favor of sparring with Helia and Dalmaroz.

It was lonely without Obsidian. The two would often hang out and do things like pamper nights where they'd do each other's nails and hair, or outings where they would have a meal together. Medusa missed doing those things, and still kicked herself for her part in Obsidian's capture. There was a large void now that no one else would ever be able to fill. Not even her sweet pet snake filled the vacancy left behind.

She hummed to herself, taking her time strolling with no place to go, no one to talk to. She spun in a circle, spreading out her arms. For a moment, she felt light as air. Once the moment had passed, all the self-hating fury and disgust returned.

As Medusa passed a mirror, she paused. Her black hair had grown long and unruly, falling to her mid back. It was annoying having her hair this long again as it had become a hassle to maintain. Despite her tresses having been forcibly cut once upon a time, the short look had grown on her. Looking at herself now brought forth memories of a different time. She still wore the same worn olive green dress she'd been wearing during the previous war that served as a great reminder of the events from that era.

She had fought alongside Obsidian and Lilith up until the eventual departure of the latter, but had remained so faithful and loyal to Obsidian. They were the best of friends, and Medusa had sworn her allegiance to her in the end. Everything she'd done had been for her own selfish reasons, but Medusa would always see Obsidian as the sister she never had.

Medusa grunted as she forced a hand through her tangled up locks. Her black irises stared through her soul as she studied herself in the reflective glass. With a long sigh, she continued to mess with her hair, pulling it all up then immediately letting it all fall back down.

"I think it's time for a new look..."

Voices filtered through her thoughts and she looked up in the mirror and saw a sliver of Gloxinia's face from around the bend. She stopped, unsure whether it was in her best interest to eavesdrop on his conversation. A part of her was curious, but the other wanted to hear nothing between them. Yet, still...

"You haven't changed a bit." She detected Iris's voice. It was followed by a giggle that made Medusa roll her eyes.

"I could say the same about you," replied Gloxinia. "You look great. Absolutely stunning."