20: Have Patience

Birds chirped as the shining sun slowly broke the horizon, ushering in a brand new day. The beautiful soft pink hue colored the sky marvelously. It was the best time of day for Obsidian, bringing promises of new beginnings and a clean slate.

She meditated on an outcropping of rock overlooking the large body of water, listening to the calming sound of waves crashing against the shore. She was alone with no distractions, no one driving her up a wall. For once, she was alone and liked it. Obsidian breathed, feeling the light spray of the water against her face and breathed in the salty sea air. Her hair, decorated with a beautiful red rose, rustled in the faint breeze that blew around her.

The demon began to hum, her voice reverberating in her throat as she swayed slightly. It was a new day and a better one, indeed.

Things had become intense lately and she was still working on keeping the balance of her own mind and spirit. Her anger was regaining control so she needed to reel it all back in. She couldn't afford to be so emotional. Her feelings regarding Meliodas and by some extension, she supposed, Gilthunder, left her with many questions with no answers in sight.

Why was Meliodas still alive? When did he become so powerful? Why is he still siding with the humans? Why has she become so smitten with a simple human man who should've meant nothing to her?

It was almost laughable. Obsidian the Reaper, a demon so powerful, feared, and respected, was taken with a human. And not just any run-of-the-mill one either, but a friend to the person she hated most in the world. The one who made her blood absolutely boil. Oh, the irony! And yet, she couldn't shake her interest with this man. Such a handsome, handsome man with his soft hair and piercing eyes. And a set of lips she wanted to—

Obsidian's eyes flew open. Her eyes darted from side to side as if anyone could intrude on her wandering thoughts.

"Obsidian! Is that you up there?" That voice was the equivalent of nails on a chalkboard. Melascula was the worst.

"What do you want?" She demanded.

"There are some things I would like to discuss if that's alright with you," said the snake.

Obsidian waved her off. "Take it up with Zeldris."

Melascula smiled. "I'm afraid the things I wish to discuss are solely with you."

Obsidian stood, looking down at the little girl. Her eyes narrowed as she had never cared for Melascula in the slightest. The loathing she held for her rivaled the burning loathing for the old coot, Galand. At least one of them was gone.

She jumped down, landing softly in the grass. "What do you want?"

"My, my, you look absolutely dreadful."

Obsidian was on her rather quickly, grabbing a fistful of hair and forcing Melascula's head back. She kept her in place like this and made a small cut on her neck with her dagger.

"I said what the hell do you want, bitch?" She demanded in her ear.

Melascula giggled. "I hear Meliodas is alive, after all. I still want his soul. It's rightfully owed to me, yet you and Estarossa have made it your mission to withhold him from me. You both have failed to kill Meliodas, so it's my turn."

"And what gives you the impression that you can kill him when we couldn't?" Obsidian crossed her arms.

"I have no earthly attachments like you do. I have no love for him, I never did, so my emotions do not affect my judgement. I think with clarity and do not allow some measly emotions to sway my judgement." Obsidian got into Melascula's face, growling fiercely as she looked her up and down. "Now, Obsidian, a fight is not something I want."