18: Gilthunder

As night fell, its darkness blanketed the city. It was quiet and still unlike the chaotic day that was notorious for battles between humans and demons. The quiet was welcoming, bringing some peace to the otherwise stress-filled days that ticked by brutally slow.

On the outskirts of Liones was where Gilthunder waited, pacing for what felt like forever as he expected the arrival of his guest soon. He'd sent the message days ago and hoped his guest would show. Saying that he was nervous was an understatement. His palms were sweaty under his armored gloves as he anticipated his meeting. He had prepped what he'd say at least a dozen times over, trying to find the right words to get his thoughts out. Even now, he muttered to himself a string of delicately put-together words to come off as least offensive and desperate as possible.

He ran a hand through his hair, sighing as he put his other hand on the hilt of his sword while his thoughts drifted. As if it were on fire, his hand instantly let go. He had to stay calm. This was to be strictly conversational.

From the skies, a large, magnificent flame erupted then emerged the terrifying Lady Obsidian. Gilthunder watched her descend as her cloak billowed around her making for quite an entrance. When she landed, she stared straight at him with dark eyes under her hood. He stood still as she slowly approached, never breaking eye contact.

"Lady Obsidian," he greeted. "Thank you for coming."

"What's this about?" She wanted to cut straight to the point.

He held out a hand. "Let's walk." Obsidian ignored the gesture and began to walk in a random direction leaving Gilthunder to follow after her blindly through the dark. The knight breathed calmly, then spoke, "I think it's important for us to get to know each other better."

"You said that already. And why, anyway? So I can get soft and spill all my secrets?"

Gil was taken aback. "N-no." Be strong. He cleared his throat. "Like I told you, I can see there's more to you than you let on. You're not completely heartless."

"You've already met the real me, Pretty Boy. There's nothing else you'll ever find," she said. "You were there in Vaizel so you should know that there's not a merciful bone in my body."

Gilthunder hummed. "What about Lance?"

She arched an eyebrow. "Who?"

"The big guy who was getting beat up by that little guy. You stopped it before it went too far. That counts for something."

Obsidian rolled her eyes, folding her arms as she continued her pace ahead of him. "The only reason I stopped that fight was to keep Zeldris from acting like an idiot."

"O.K., so there's something you care about to prove you're not heartless."

Obsidian stopped dead, offended by his continued attempts to prove she was a good person. She whirled around and angrily stomped towards him. Due to the darkness, she caught her foot on a jagged rock and fell forward. Gilthunder caught her in his arms, his hands cradling the small of her back and her hands were latched onto his biceps. Their eyes widened at their new position and Gilthunder quickly set her on her feet. The demon blushed furiously and she was thankful that he couldn't see. Gilthunder made a small yet very awkward joke and suggested their way be lit to avoid any more... accidents.

With a huff, a small flame formed in her palm, illuminating the darkness and casting shadows upon their faces. Obsidian and Gilthunder stared at each other, waiting for the other to lead their way. Obsidian decided to take charge once again and began walking. Gilthunder hesitated. He looked down at his feet as he stewed in his thoughts. Obsidian was so intimidating but so intriguing. He wanted—needed—to say all the things in his head or he might never get another chance.