39: The Reaper

Thud, thud

Thud, thud. Thud, thud.

The empty feeling of nothingness encompassed the reaper with a coldness that made her shiver down to the core. Unfortunately, that was the only movement her body was capable of at the moment and she remained on the ground with her eyes closed. Under different circumstances, she looked peaceful, but that was furthest from reality. She'd let her rowdiness get the best of her, but at least she'd given her adversary a hard time.

The second Obsidian entered his sight, Zeldris's eyes softened. He desired nothing more than to rush to her side and scoop her up in his arms. Meliodas and Obsidian together set off alarm bells in his head. He was supposed to be restrained, not fighting it out with his girlfriend.

"Holy shit, it can't be." Derieri was stunned.

"We all saw Estarossa kill him." Monspeet was just as confused.

"Bastard." A snarl left Zeldris as his knees bent lower into a stable stance.

Obsidian stirred, her hands twitching.

"O!" Zeldris's voice sounded so far away as she slipped in and out of consciousness. "O, come on, get up!"

Come on, say something, Obsidian, she urged herself. Her throat was so dry and she felt so drained. 

"Zel?" Her voice had gone raspy from screaming her head off at Meliodas. The bright light of the daytime filtered her vision and the sun's rays were the only thing she could see.

"Dammit, go get her!" He yelled at someone who must've been much closer than he was and he grunted followed by a slash of his sword.

All the burnt-up adrenaline was beginning to take a toll on the reaper. She'd been on top of the world until it crashed down and was now on top of her. Still, what she managed to do to both Merlin and Meliodas made them a lot worse off than her current state. Her head lolled off to the side and she tried to pause the spinning world around her, her vision finally returning to her. She lifted herself up slightly, propping  up on her elbows to get a better view of the battle she'd interrupted. Obsidian was smack dab in the middle and all eyes were on her and...

"Meliodas!" Hawk called with tears pouring from his eyes.

"Captain?" Ban turned his head. "Captain!" He couldn't help a bright, toothy grin seeing his best friend alive.

"It's really you!" King felt a sense of disbelief that their leader was right in front of them.

Meliodas breathed heavily, flattened out on the ground under Obsidian. He was stuck between a rock and a hard place and didn't bother to make any attempt to move. He'd gotten carried away, it seemed, and he let out a deep breath. His full strength had yet to catch up with him.

"Would you mind getting your heavy ass off me?" He muttered.

"How about," she panted some more, "You suck my—"