42: Never Say Die

"My O, I'm so, so sorry

"My O, I'm so, so sorry. I couldn't be strong enough to protect you. I'm supposed to be your boyfriend, but I couldn't even save you. How am I ever supposed to protect my people if I can't even protect the one I love most in this wretched world?" Zeldris hugged Link as tears rolled down his cheeks. Link whimpered sadly, nuzzling his face into Zeldris's chest. He, too, missed Obsidian's presence. Her delighted smile when she saw the small pup was a sign that hugs and kisses were on their way to him, and he missed his owner's love and affection.

"I know, Link, I miss her, too," Zeldris tried to comfort the depressed animal. He chugged the bottle of alcohol beside him, angrily wiping away his flooding tears.

In the last moments he saw her, Obsidian's eyes held such sadness that screamed at him: Why can't you save me? Zeldris had watched, too hesitant to do anything at the time. She had told him not to, and he shouldn't have listened, but she was more concerned about protecting the lives of everyone else.

Zeldris took another swig, his world running circles around him. When he stared off into space and when he closed his eyes, Obsidian was the only one he could see. He could hear her light, playful laughter when she ever-so gently brushed her fingers along his face. He could see those big, shimmering purple eyes staring at him curiously or with longing as he commanded his troops.

"Don't you worry. There will be hell to pay. I swear on my life this deed will not go unpunished."

There was a knock at the door and Zeldris looked at it, not having expected anyone to bother him. He'd been in solitude for the last several days and he intended to keep it that way.

The knocking persisted, so he got up with the puppy tucked under his arm, ready to tell his visitor to get lost with his usual tough demeanor when he opened the door. Medusa stood there awkwardly, smelling her hair until getting a fright from how quickly the door was opened.

"Medusa, I don't have the patience for whatever snide remark you have. Your face is the absolute last one I want to see right now." Zeldris didn't even have the energy in him to scowl as he began to shut the door in her face. All of his time and efforts had been going into rescuing Obsidian from his brother so dealing with Medusa would only be a hindrance.

"I'm not here to cause trouble." She placed a hand on the wood separating them. When she was given a look of distrust, she blushed and held up her hand. "I'm not, promise! I want O back same as you."

"Is that right?" Zeldris set Link down and he went bounding down the hallway. Zeldris began walking away after him and Medusa followed.

"I mean it! I do shoulder some of the blame for the events that unfolded here."

"Understatement if I've ever heard one," Zeldris replied snidely.

"Truce, O.K.? Until O's back safe and sound." She offered with a smile, making Zeldris stop.