8: Far From Over

She sat there in silence for a while, hearing his tired voice echoing through her troubled head. He had been so worried and for some reason, it made her uneasy. She sat with her boredom on an elbow as she contemplated going against her boyfriend's wishes and leaving the castle anyway. To be fair, he didn't actually forbid her from doing so. It was more of a suggestion.

Not that he could possibly tell me what to do anyway, her brain added quickly. There wasn't a man alive who could tell her what to do.

Still, she supposed making Zeldris worry about her wasn't ideal, so there Obsidian was, bored out of her mind wondering what kind of trouble those pesky Sins were causing. She could imagine Zeldris engaging in battle against them, his strong jaw tight with fury and his face fixated with determination to emerge victorious. His hands would be stained with the blood of his enemies and he would be feared by all -- The great Commandment of Piety, the strongest, most deadly member of the Demon King's most elite troupes and rightful heir to the throne.

As his successor, Zeldris would reign with an iron fist with his queen by his side for the rest of their lives and they would finally be happy... Or, at least, she supposed. She didn't really care. She drummed her fingers as a frown formed. But she did care.

Obsidian stood quickly as she thought of herself not being by his side. They were supposed to be a team so how was she going to sit back and hide while he fought for them? She didn't want him to fight for her, but with her. She picked up her war helmet, fond of the sentimentality that came with it. When she first joined The Commandments, it had been gifted from a (back then) very shy and young Zeldris, who at the time had trouble expressing his feelings. Since then, she held onto it and was something she never parted with it.

"Forever by your side through sickness and health, through life and death, we shall forever be one," Obsidian recited.

She slipped the helmet onto her head, her dark hair now hanging loosely and she played with it with a small delight. She was going to fight by her lover's side until the very end, until death parted them. Who knew if today would be that day? The Demoness of Wrath would fight until her last breath of life.

Obsidian burst through the front doors of the palace and a large shadow cast itself over her. It was none other than Drole who rested against the side of the castle. He looked down when she came out.

"Obsidian, you should be inside where it's safe," he said sternly. His eyebrows furrowed into a frown. "Zeldris explicitly said to keep an eye on you and ensure your safety. I'm not risking you getting hurt."

"I don't need a bodyguard," she replied with slight agitation. She eyed him with the puppy dog look. "Come with me?"

"It was a direct order, I can't disobey Zeldris."

Obsidian beamed, getting close to his face. "And whose gonna stop us?" She folded her hands, batting her lashes. "Please?"

Drole looked at her for a moment. With a sigh, he reluctantly agreed and she kissed his cheek happily. He could never say no to her no matter how much he wanted to.

"But you must wear this," he said to her and handed over a little black bracelet with a sapphire facet. She took it and slipped it on without question. Anything to get her out of this place.

Obsidian modeled it off a bit, smiling. "I like it!" She pointed ahead triumphantly. "To Liones!"

Liones was a massive city that was already facing destruction thanks to The Ten Commandments.

Right now, it seemed The Lion Sin, Escanor, had found himself battling against Estarossa -- and they were evenly matched. It was a display of such raw power that kept everyone out of the way. Estarossa was so giddy at the fact that he finally found a challenge, and a wide cheeky grin was plastered on his face. Despite the fun the demon was having, Escanor was stone faced and deadly.

Drole crossed the lower set of his arms, watching them from afar. He could see Zeldris and Fraudrin also watching closer from above. Drole planned to stay right where he was away from all the fuss with Obsidian right by his side, though she tried to get closer. She couldn't help wanting to be involved, but he didn't want her pushing herself anymore for a good while.

Drole grabbed her up gently. "I said we would come, not that we would get involved."

"Drole~" She whined.

He shook his head. "This is good enough. If not, we can leave."

Obsidian pouted and shut up. She didn't want to go back to that lame castle doing nothing, so she had to abide by the rules laid out for her.

Estarossa seemed to have met a worthy enough opponent and was becoming a bit too cocky as the giant man now stood unmoving and bloody in the middle of a dried up lake. He laughed with victory, commenting on the fun he had -- then instantly stopped.

The demons could feel the change as Estarossa realized he'd been duped. Escanor's sun, that had been swallowed up by darkness, began to radiate once again and increase in size. His face was stern as he looked down on the now-tiny Estarossa. Then, the attack was released and Estarossa's screams could be heard far and wide as it collided with him, sending him flying with it.

Zeldris instantly went after him in an attempt to stop his brother from crashing. He pushed against the giant sun that grew in intensity. "Brother, no!" He yelled.

Obsidian grew worried as the sun couldn't be stopped and watched it swallow up Zeldris, too. There was no more sign of him and she grew erratic. "Zeldris!" She screamed.

The air grew quiet when they left their sights and their auras faded. Obsidian, now frantic, broke out of Drole's grip. She flew forward but was stopped by walls of rock. She grit her teeth, her hair igniting as she turned to the side. She was going to slaughter that damned Sin if it was the last thing she did.

"Let me go, Drole," her voice was low.

"It isn't wise, Obsidian. We need to leave immediately." He brought down the walls when she looked resigned. "I know it's difficult to walk away, but I care too much for you to let you be hurt, too. Or worse. Just... Let's regroup and we'll figure all of this out."

Drole held a hand out to carry her. Fighting back everything she wanted to do and say, she embraced Drole the best she could which surprised him.

Obsidian looked out over the destroyed kingdom, surpressing every emotion she felt. She turned her back on the city, a sneer forming as she turned back over her shoulder for one last glance. "Let them have this little 'victory'. This isn't over."