65th Madness

***

New.

Several soft touches against my cheeks woke me up and the sight of Nirin scratching her head welcomed me the moment I opened my eyes. The space beside us was already empty so I assumed that Tay was in the kitchen preparing breakfast as he always did.

"Good morning, Nirin," I mumbled as I gave her a hug, making her grumble inaudible words.

I just let her go back to sleep as it was still early and decided to fix myself before checking on Tay.

I was in the midst of washing my face when I noticed something wrong but couldn't put a finger on it.

It was then that I realized that the plastic ring that Tay gave me was no longer in my finger. Panic consumed me at the thought of losing such valuable thing and I couldn't think of anything else but the disappointed look on Tay's face.

"Shit. Shit. Shit!" I mumbled several times before going back to check the bed and under the covers. But with Nirin sprawling in the bed, the search was a bit tougher than I expected it would be as she would roll over several times and kick the pillows on random directions.

Taking in several breaths, I tried to calm myself before searching again but failed miserably. Tears started welling in my eyes as I tried to remember where I last placed it but I was so damn sure to myself that I never removed it, not even once.

I was in the midst of being a miserable mess when Tay barged in the door and looked for me. I quickly hid my hands behind my back as he approached me and cupped my cheeks before placing a kiss on my forehead.

"Good morning, love," he grinned.

"G-good morning," I nervously replied despite my attempt to hide my emotions that time.

"Is there something wrong?"

"N-no. I'm just fine. Nirin's still asleep."

"Let's eat breakfast first. I have something to show you," he smiled widely as he grabbed my hand and dragged me out of the room.

Nothing was unusual or extraordinary when we reached the dining area, well, except for the carefully plated dishes and a bouquet of red tulips on the table.

"Flowers for the love of my life."

I intentionally let out a chuckle as he handed me the flowers with a knee bent on the floor.

"Psh. What's with the romantic gesture at such an early hour, huh?"

"Well, you better get used to this, my love," he grinned even more as he pulled me a chair and let me sit.

What Tay prepared was the typical breakfast, but what intrigued me was the plate with a food cloche placed in front of me.

"Okay, what's this?" I teasingly asked him.

"Why don't you see for yourself?"

The tone in his voice made me nervous and excited at the same time. So without even thinking twice, I lifted the lid off the plate, only to be surprised of seeing a small box instead of food inside.