103.0: The Past In The Present

A/N: This chapter is based on 8x08 The Wheels on the Bus with mentions of 8x07 The Fallen

TRIGGER WARNINGS: KIDNAPPING, HUMAN TRAFFICKING MENTIONED (CHILDREN)

Whole chapter is a trigger warning again, so please read with caution!

Time skips are used in this chapter :)

"The destruction of the world didn't happen overnight, and neither will saving it,"
― Tahereh Mafi

Crystal was busy wrapping up Christmas presents, she was doing it her and Hotch's walk in closet so Jack wouldn't catch her wrapping them. Santa was still something he believed in, and Crystal would actually break inside if she was the reason he found out the truth. The door opened to the closet and Hotch stared at her, "What're you doing?"

"Being Santa." Crystal answered and he chuckled, "Y'know, one day he's going to know the truth. That Santa isn't real, and that mommy's and daddy's are the actual ones who wrap presents for their children." Crystal gave him a look, "And when he does, it's not going to be because of me. Now, are you here to help or not?" Hotch closed the door behind him and crouched down to help her wrap up the presents. She had already wrapped up Hotch's since she had a feeling he'd try and sneak a peek at it, it wasn't anything big though. Crystal had gotten him a watch with an engraving on the back, there was a Hypericum on the back. It was said to be a flower that was gathered and burned in the past as a form of protection from evil spirits.

Crystal liked to think that maybe the engraving would be protection on Hotch from any harm out there, maybe not evil sprits, but against other bad things. She wanted their family to always be safe and happy. Christmas rolled around and Crystal smiled at Jack gasped at all his presents, he looked truly happy. Hotch liked his present as well, he pressed a passionate kiss against her lips and smiled. "I love it, thank you." Hotch had gotten her a mug with a picture of the team, Jack, and Henry on it from the softball game. It had family written on the other side with another picture of the team when Emily was there, she really liked it.

Jack was busy playing with his new presents and Crystal watched fondly with Hotch next to her, mugs of hot chocolate in their hands. "Merry Christmas, Crystal." Hotch mumbled against her head and she snuggled into his embrace, "Merry Christmas, Aaron." 

___

New Years had just passed and the start of the year should've started strong, should've being the key word. Crystal was at her desk working on a file when Hotch marched over to her, she looked up at him. "What-"

"I'm sorry, I forgot." Hotch told her and she frowned, "Huh?" Hotch sighed and rubbed his face, "Our wedding anniversary, our first wedding anniversary. It's coming up, and I completely forgot." Crystal blinked at this before realizing he was right, "Oh...yeah, it is." Hotch walked around her desk towards her seat, he crouched down and held her hands in his. "Sorry, I'm being a bad husband."

"Aaron, you're not being a bad husband. It's just an anniversary, besides it's almost like we're working our day jobs to save lives out there." Crystal told him gently, she squeezed his hands. "Anyways, I forgot too. That's okay, we don't have to do anything." Hotch sighed at this and stared at her ring, "I'm still going to make it up to you, I wanna do something nice for you." Crystal smiled at this and raised his hands to her mouth, she kissed both of them before letting go. "And that makes you a wonderful husband." He smiled at this before standing up, he walked back to his office. Crystal made sure he was back inside before rolling over to Reid, "Oh my God, I forgot my anniversary."

Reid shrugged as he continued working on his file, "To be fair, you guys always acted like you were married so it'd be hard to remember your actual anniversary." Crystal smiled at this before nudging him, "Seriously, Doc. What do I do now?" Reid looked up at her, "Why're you asking me?" Crystal leaned back in her chair, "Because you're observant, what does Hotch want?"