80.0: Death Is Coming With Unsaid Words

WARNINGS: THERE'S SWEARING AND THIS IS LONG AND A BIT MESSY (SORRY)

TRIGGER WARNINGS: KIDNAPPINGS, TORTURE, PAST ABUSE, PAST SEXUAL ABUSE, TALKS OF R*PE, MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES, DRUGS, THIS WHOLE CHAPTER IS A TW!

"We almost always can point to that hundredth blow, but we don't always mark the ninety-nine other things that happen before we change."
― Maggie Stiefvater

"Here you go Archer." Ruth handed Crystal a box full of files, "These are the hardcopies of the files I sent you pictures of." Crystal nodded, "Thank you."

"You really are wasting your time, there's nothing wrong."

"Maybe, but I don't think so." Crystal countered and Ruth raised an eyebrow, "What do you mean?"

"Jason was right that something seems off, there's something missing." Crystal answered, "I'll get these back to you later, bye Chief." Crystal walked back to her car with the files, she had stopped at the station before heading back home.

___

"You're here on vacation, but you're working?" Crystal's mom frowned and Crystal smiled at her, "Promise I'm just checking over some files mom, it shouldn't take more than a day."

Crystal's father walked over and handed her a mug of tea, "Don't overwork yourself." Crystal nodded, "I won't." There was a knock at the door and Crystal went to answer it, Jason stood there and smiled. "Thanks for doing this."

"No problem, I'm looking at the files right now."

They both walked to the table and Crystal pointed at a stack of documents, "These reports state that the fires weren't called in until hours later, but your friend Max claims to have called in immediately."

Jason nodded, "He tried calling, but for some reason his calls weren't going through." Crystal folded her hands, "Would I be able to talk to Max?"

"Chris, I know you suspect him but-"

Crystal held up her hand, "You asked for my input Jace, I have to be unbiased and do things like I would on any case. You've cleared him, but I haven't." Jason sighed and checked his watch, "He should be out of work right now, I'll text him to see if we can meet up."

"Tell him to meet us at the bar you first questioned him at."

"Why?"

"If the arsonist did hear you there, we need to see if he's stalking Max or not." Crystal answered and Jason looked at the files stacked in different areas, "You find anything else?"

"Yes, but I need to talk with Max before I can confirm things."

"You said arsonist instead of potential arsonist, were these done on purpose?" Jason asked and Crystal looked up from her file, "I'd have to get into the evidence room tomorrow at the station, but from what I've found your friend is wrong about these being an accident."

Jason sat up, "So I was right?"

"Yes, but you were also stupid." 

Jason frowned, "How was I stupid?" Crystal sighed and took off her glasses to rub the bridge of her nose, "Jason, this guy has taken many precautionary steps to make sure he wasn't found out. That means he's a professional and that makes him dangerous, you should've told me first before even talked to Max because now the unsub knows you're onto him."

"You didn't even believe me."

"I did believe you," Crystal countered as she put her glasses back on, "I just needed you to find proof so that I could convince Chief to let me look at this case." Jason sighed, "This guy won't mess with me, I'm a firefighter."