Chapter 5: The Greatest Friend (Part 2)

The sun has set. The Dreemurrs, Sans, Undyne, and Alphys are all in the waiting room on the third floor of Ebott General. Most of the group is asleep. Toriel is hunched over in a prayer position as Asgore rubs her back gently. Frisk keeps looking at the clock and tapping the armrest on his chair. A human doctor walks out from Asriel's room, holding a clipboard.

"I have news." The asleep wake up instantly, and the doctor walks one step closer to them. Toriel's eyes burn red. The doctor continues. "Fortunately, your son arrived on time and will recover fully."

Toriel and Asgore hug tightly, and Undyne excitedly pumps her fist. Alphys wipes her forehead in relief. Sans stands there silently, with his eyes looking blank. Toriel turns towards Sans and glances at him with her brow trembling, and he doesn't seem to notice her. 

The doctor continues giving her a report. "He will definitely need rest due to the depth of the knife wound. And, due to the hours as well, we request that only one visit him for now since he's already exhausted and we must close the visiting hours in a couple of minutes. I hope you all understand."

Undyne smiles and gives the doctor a thumbs up. "Thanks, doc! We really appreciate it. But, who should Asriel see?"

Frisk then turns his head towards Toriel and Asgore. Toriel gently looks down at Frisk and rubs her hand through his hair. "It's alright, my child...if anyone should visit our Asriel tonight, it's you. We understand."

Asgore nods and smiles at Frisk as well. "I agree. I bet your brother would love to see you. We will visit first thing tomorrow morning."

Frisk nods slowly and silently and walks into the room labeled "370", where Asriel is located

Frisk nods slowly and silently and walks into the room labeled "370", where Asriel is located. As Frisk walks in, he turns to see Asriel in bed. Asriel's eyes are closed, and there's a breathing tube attached to his snout. His body looks very pale, and there are heavy bags underneath his eyes, to boot. Despite this, Asriel's limbs still look strong and sturdy.

Frisk sighs a bit, then grabs a chair and pulls it up to the side of the bed where Asriel lays. He takes a breath and then speaks gently. "A-Azzy? Are you there? It's me, your best friend."

Asriel slowly opens his eyes in full and peers over at Frisk. He smiles softly and chuckles at his brother. "Howdy, Frisk. I told you I'd be ok."

Asriel chuckles weakly, then coughs, and then Frisk leans forward. Frisk shakes his head quickly. Asriel leans forward a little more and frowns, his eyes growing sadder with each second. "Frisk... are you ok?"

Frisk drops his head onto the mattress. He begins to cry on Asriel's bedsheets, covering the side of the bed in water. Asriel's face shrouds with worry, and he reaches out slightly to Frisk. "Frisk, I..."

He lifts up his head, sadly and angrily staring at Asriel. "You idiot!"

Asriel pleads. "Frisk...I'm sorry, but..."

"Y-you promised me you'd take c-care of your soul, and y-you go and do that?! You could've died...I know you have part of a h-human soul...but what if you...i-if you..."