Chapter 7: Healing (Part 1)

The backyard is covered in mist as a smaller goat and a taller goat shuffle toward the edge of the property. The clouds are sobbing. The taller goat wears a long purple dress and has short horns, face complemented by a pair of periwinkle glasses. The smaller goat lacks any horns; his skinny frame sports a green and yellow sweater, and his hands hold a golden locket in the shape of a heart.

"Another day, another visit. While it doesn't replace her gravesite in the Underground, it's the memorial and the thought that counts", Toriel says.

"Yeah, mom," replies Asriel.

Asriel reaches a small mound of dirt. A small wooden cross made of sticks is placed at the head of the plot, with a small green shirt with a single yellow stripe stretching across the middle. A picture of a rosy-cheeked child sits at the base of the cross. He stares at the picture, bows his head silently, and takes a look at the locket. The front of it has the phrase "best friends forever" engraved into the metal. He clenches the locket in his hand and begins to cry. (Howdy, Chara...I haven't forgotten about you...I'm here.)

"I'm sure she will love it, my child", Toriel says.

"Yeah, mom...I hope so." Asriel nods and places the locket on the top of the grave. He then pulls out a chocolate bar from his back pocket and places it next to the locket. "See, Chara? I brought your favorite candy...I hope you...like it."

Asriel's modest cry increases to a sob. His body shakes. His stomach churns, and his mind races. After a moment of his body arresting his soul, he gets up suddenly, spins around towards his mother, and hugs her tightly. "Mommy...I'm sorry...I don't understand..."

Toriel looks down at Asriel and gently rubs the top of his head. Her eyes widen, her mouth opens slightly, and her face turns pale. "What are you sorry for? You've done nothing wrong; what's troubling you so?"

Asriel takes a moment to breathe, then speaks. "You know how I...was Flowey? I...I'm not proud of how I acted, but...I got to live again, at least, even with...what I did in my Flowey body. I was given a second chance, and now I have my body back too, but..."

"But what, my child?" Toriel asks gently. 

Asriel bows his head. "Why not Chara, too? It's just not fair...and...I'm sorry that I didn't say this sooner, but...I need to tell you...I can't forget..."

Toriel raises an eyebrow. "Can't forget what, my dear?"

"...I...I can't forget that...I held Chara's hand when she died..."

Asriel burrows his head into his mother's dress, hiccuping heavily. Toriel bends down and kisses him lightly on the top of his head. "I'm so, so sorry, my child." A couple of tears of her own form mixing into the rain as it falls. "Any mother's heart would break hearing what you went through...and it doesn't make much sense to me, either. My heart aches just like yours."