Chapter 15: Revving (Part 3)

A few hours have passed, and the sun has sunk past the horizon. The sky is coated in dancing darkness as the moon hovers over Ebott Junior High and dimly lights the earth below. A short, glassy-specked monster pokes her head out from behind the hedge, serving as a border between the school and the soccer field. Alphys holds a hand up to her ear, in which an earpiece is placed. She begins speaking into a black walkie-talkie in her left hand. "H-hey, Undyne, y-you ready? Over."

A loud voice echoes into the earpiece from the opposite side of the hedge. "NGAAAAAAH!" screams Undyne, as a slight trickle of blood comes from Alphys' right ear. She grips it and grits her teeth. "Ugh...uh, ok, Undyne. That's good. L-let's do this."

Alphys looks up at the school and walks forward

Alphys looks up at the school and walks forward. A pair of guards with face masks, obscuring eyes and mouth, stand facing her. Their arms are folded, and she slowly pulls her identity badge out of her lab coat.

(I can make it into the building alright), Alphys thinks. (But, with my friends and the whole Kris suspicion...the guards will be on high alert. Even though they kind of know them, I doubt they'd let us all walk in at once, given the fear in town right now. We need to be sneaky.)

She takes a subtle look out of the corner of her eye, peering behind her. Blooky slowly looks at her from behind the tree next to the hedge and then moves back behind the tree. Mettaton appears above Blooky from behind the tree and flashes a "YES" sign on his LED face. Undyne races behind the tree, looks out from the top of Mettaton's boxy head, and flashes a thumbs up to Alphys.

Alphys silently grins to herself and approaches the guards. They stare each other down as the scientist holds her ID card and keychain in front of her, grinning nervously. "Since the science fair is soon, I've got papers to g-grade and prep work to attend to. A royal s-scientist's job never stops."

The second guard nods and moves out of the way. The first guard follows suit and speaks. "Yeah, that's fair. We don't wanna be like, annoying or keep you from your work or anything. C'mon in!"

The second guard nods in agreement. "I hope you get your work done!"

Alphys chuckles and smiles. "Thanks, you guys. I'm glad it's F-Friday, though. Weekend is r-right around the corner!"

Alphys moves into the school and closes the doors behind her. She quietly steps into the hallway. Only one light is on in each hallway, including this one. The shadows of the walls and doors crowd the halls. She holds her hand up to her earpiece again and whispers, "don't make a peep when you enter. Once you have the opportunity to enter, stay close, silent, and hidden. Understood?"

Alphys reaches the corner and makes a right turn. She pauses for a few moments. Music begins sounding through her earpiece and all around the campus. She smiles and nods. "Good, they're starting."

Just outside, the two guards run into the parking lot. Booming, strange music echoes from the side of the school. The guards run to their left and make a left turn. On the west side of the school in the middle of the driveway leading to the front lawn, Undyne dances clumsily on top of a car with flashing neon lights at its front door ajar while her thick jacket flaps in the wind.