Chapter 17: Battle Against A True Hero (Part 1)

Alphys squints at the figure. She winces as she grips her side even more harshly, sputtering. "The t-theory was c-correct...you're him, right?"

The figure removes his hood and chuckles, shrugging. As the knife dances in his hand, he looks upward as his bright red eyes reflect in the moonlight. His sharp teeth glisten in the city lights, and he snorts. "That's right. I'm Frisk's aspiring assassin in the flesh."

Alphys chuckles and smiles as sweat pours down her face. "I could've b-been injured a lot worse; I'll be f-fine." Undyne then spreads her arms, shielding Alphys. Kris shakes his head, placing the knife in between his jeans and the belt around his hips.

He slowly claps. "You may be smart, Dr. Alphys, but you sure as heck aren't wise," he taunts. "It's honestly a joke. You're updating your 'Twitter' status every five minutes! And then you put the same thing on Undernet? Not to mention how you wrote about a 'secret project' you were working on. With how close you guys are to the ambassador, it was pretty easy to put two and two together and realize you're trying to find dirt on me."

The scientist gulps, soul filling with shame. Kris' red eyes gleam, and his smile twists. "I plan on finishing what I started, and maybe my goal of killing your ambassador will be easier if I get his allies out of the way first."

Alphys clenches her side more tightly than ever, sinking her head. Tears flow down her face. "Guys...I'm s-so sorry...I shouldn't have been so open about w-what we were doing on social media. It's m-my fault."

Alphys keeps crying while Undyne takes a step forward. She turns her head and smiles at Alphys. "It's not your fault. He would've hunted us down sooner or later anyway."

Alphys droops her head while Kris pulls his knife back out. "Man, you really suck at taking responsibility, don't you? Wouldn't surprise me if you're just as bad with it now as you were in the Underground."

Alphys chokes back her tears and slowly looks up at Kris again. "Wha...what do you m-mean?"

"I've heard the rumors. You caused the amalgamate scandal, didn't you?" Kris asks. 

Alphys sputters and her eyes widen with shock. "B-but...they r-reunited with their f-families! That's in the past now!"

"Sure, whatever," Kris remarks.

Undyne's face flushes. She pulls a cyan spear out from her jacket and hurls it at Kris, but he dodges, and it lands by his foot. He yawns and stretches.

Undyne's brow furrows, and her muscles tense. "You won't get away with hurting my loved ones, psycho!"

She pulls out two more spears, then throws one, and then the other. Kris dodges both and shrugs. "Man, I expected better from you."

Undyne throws another spear. Kris dodges again. Undyne jumps at the spears in the ground, but Kris sharply moves his body backward, staring at the fish warrior as a predator focused on its prey. Undyne takes a moment to breathe and yells behind her, crying out, "are you two alright?!"

Alphys gives a weary thumbs up as she tries to use the back of Undyne's car to prop herself on her feet. Her eyes run wild, and her breath grows shallow.

(No v-vital organs harmed, at least), Alphys thinks. (But...what a-about Mettaton?)

With a jolt, Mettaton wakes up. He points at the sky in jubilation."HAHA! Little did you know, villain, that my defenses are overpowered in this form! It was all for show!"

Alphys chuckle coughs, and Mettaton gently grabs the injured Alphys and places her into the shotgun seat. Undyne nods and draws the fifth spear. "Mettaton! You drive Alphys to the hospital and get her arm bandaged up! I'll take care of this creep."