Chapter 12: Scars (Part 3)

"Azzy...Azzy. Wake up," Frisk whispers.

Asriel yells out as he wakes up from slumber. He looks to his left and sees Frisk standing there, his hand on Asriel's back. Frisk tilts his head with a sad look on his face. Asriel looks down at his green and yellow checkered pajamas and discovers that they're drenched in sweat. He then feels a dull soreness in his stomach and coddles it gently.

"Azzy...are you alright? It's alright...it was just a nightmare, bud", Frisk says.

Asriel stares at him, beginning to cry. He tightly hugs Frisk and whispers, "my best friend is alive...my best friend is alive..."

"Yeah...I am. What's the matter?" Frisk asks worryingly. 

"You died...I thought you died..." Asriel breathes heavier and shakes his head. "Frisk...I'm a curse."

Frisk lowers his gaze, and his voice sharpens. "Who told you that? You're not a curse, bud."

"Then WHY is it," Asriel retorts, "that whenever someone gets close to me...they get hurt...or die?"

"You're not a curse. You're a blessing," Frisk says.

"How can I be?!" Asriel half-yells.

"Because you care about me and your friends and family," Frisk gently responds. 

Asriel bites his lip. "But what about Flowey? I AM Flowey."

"You were created with love, bud. You keep forgetting that." Frisk shakes his head and gently rubs Asriel's back. "Besides, it was just a bad dream, bud. I'm alive and well...I'm here." Asriel's reddened eyes burrow into Frisk, and a slightly twisted smile appears on his face. His eyes widen and his volume lifts while Frisk lifts an eyebrow. "You okay?" Frisk asks.

"It's like there's no escape," Asriel replies. "'Kill or be killed' follows me everywhere!"

"Azzy, please..." Frisk pleads. 

"It's a part of me, Frisk! There's no escaping it; it's pointless!" Asriel counters. 

The goat child chuckles. Then, he laughs as his eyes shudder and his mouth twists. As his laugh turns into a full-on cackle, Frisk shakes his head and slaps Asriel on the back of the cranium. Asriel suddenly stops laughing and rubs his head. His wide smile fades into a frown as he sinks his head, tears returning. As he sobs, the brothers tightly hug each other again.

Asriel sputters. "Frisk...I'm so sorry for trying to kill you all those years ago...and now...and all times in-between."

Frisk lowers his head and speaks gently as Asriel tries to stifle his crying. "Hey...it's alright. It's all forgiven; it's ok." Frisk lets out a sigh and gently rubs Asriel's back. "I'm also sorry for slapping you on the head. That was mean of me."

"No, Frisk...," the goat child says. "You had every right to do so..."

Asriel releases Frisk and places his hands back on his kneecaps. He sighs and wipes his face with his pajama sleeve. "I saw my past self, then I heard a menacing voice, and then...Kris, or whoever...then...I..." 

Frisk tilts his head. "But, there is one thing I should know. Considering that and your nightmare, why did you wear that flower costume at my party?"

Asriel shakes his head and rubs the back of his neck gently. "I, uh..."

"You can tell me," Frisk interrupts.

Asriel sighs. "Honestly...I hated wearing it...a lot. I felt grimy inside. I didn't want to wear it, but...I thought it might make your party better, I guess."

The ambassador clicks his tongue. "Azzy...if it brought back bad memories, I'm sure mom would've understood if you said something."

Asriel shakes his head. "Your happiness is more important than mine."

Frisk shakes his head and raises his voice slightly. "You need joy and comfort just like anyone." Asriel sinks his head while Frisk nods. "And that nightmare wasn't real."

Asriel's eyes widen, and he looks down at his bed again

Asriel's eyes widen, and he looks down at his bed again. "Thank you. I needed to hear that."

Asriel brings his knees up to his face and rests his head on his knees, chuckling. "With this regressing, I feel, it just kinda reminds me those scars won't go away in this life." He forces himself to smile. "But...I won't hurt forever." 

Frisk grins. "Don't forget, Azzy." 

Asriel nods, laying his head back on the pillow, and letting it rest softly. Frisk then returns to bed and calmly sighs. Despite the tiredness from both Dreemurr siblings, their DETERMINATION has been renewed. However, the scars were still very real. And, with a certain aspiring assassin roaming like a lion, more scars being added isn't out of the question by any stretch of the imagination. 

...

***Author's Notes***

Good timezone, friends! I hope you're doing well today and I really hope you enjoyed reading the chapter.

I love writing dream sequences. You get to peer into the inner psyche of your characters and make them feel deeply about their insecurities, concerns, and challenges in their lives. I do feel really bad for Asriel, though, since he's been through a lot. But, with some support from Frisk, the kid's gonna be ok. 

What did you think of the chapter? Things you liked a lot but also things I could improve upon; polite suggestions perhaps? Please remember to leave a comment and press the star, too! Until next time, take care. Stay DETERMINED.