Chapter 8: Gathering Leads (Part 1)

A human police officer stands at a door just around the corner within the Ebott police department

A human police officer stands at a door just around the corner within the Ebott police department. His short, brown hair is neatly tucked underneath his cap, and his badge is placed around his neck. The lights from the ceiling reflect off the badge, giving it a bright glow. Out of the corner of his eye, he peers to his left and sees an officer of the monster race marching towards him with wide, round eyes and a piercing beak. "Need the interrogation room today, Harlow?"

"Yes, sir," Harlow responds. "I've been tasked with studying the Asriel Dreemurr attack case. Kid's lucky that he made it out in one piece."

"I hear ya. Well, don't get attacked yourself," the supervisor warns. "This precinct would sink without you."

The human officer opens the door for Harlow, and Harlow enters. He lowers his gaze. Two monsters are already seated on the other side of the interrogation table, and it's Catty and Bratty are in the hot seats. Harlow sighs and rubs the top of his feathered head. "Let's get this over with."

Harlow sits down, folding both wings in front of him and leaning in towards the pair of friends. The cameras in the corners of the room zoom in as the lenses pierce their bodies and the table in front of them. He clears his throat and then looks at the pair, quickly turning his head back and forth. "We have a potential homicidal maniac on the loose. You were seen at that party over on Third Street a few days ago. What were you doing there, and what did you see?"

Bratty nods quickly. "Oh yeah! It was, like, three days ago."

Catty nods. "Yeah, like, that's true." Catty then leans back in her chair and rubs her right paw on her furry chin. "Or was it four days ago?" She then turns towards Bratty. "Was it three or four days ago? Help a girl out here!"

Bratty shrugs at Catty and then turns towards officer Harlow with a slightly half-hearted growl in her voice. "Do you think I'd remember exactly what happened three days ago?"

Catty clenches her paws together and looks at Harlow. "Like, she can't even remember what happened two days ago! Sorry, police dude."

Bratty's reptilian eyes narrow, and she glares over at Catty. "You're not helping!"

As Harlow rubs his eyes gently, a new witness is brought into the room. The questioning process repeats and flows. "You say you don't remember, but not remembering what happened is awfully convenient. Tell me, did you happen to know the person that attacked school student and Ebott resident Asriel Dreemurr and his sibling Frisk Dreemurr?"

Harlow is no longer glancing at a pair of teenage monsters but is instead seated across from another. Sporting a beige hat and a long, white beard, the elderly tortoise chuckles and strokes his green, scaly chin. "Ah, Asriel. The prince of the Underground...I remember when the first human fell. I tell you, he and the human were best friends, as big of a troublemaker as she was at times."

Harlow shakes his head and sighs, with feathers standing on end all over his body. "Mr. Boom, we don't have much time. I need you to tell me if Asriel Dreemurr had any enemies or rivals."