Chapter 9: Pairs and Bonds (Part 2)

The morning has dawned again. Inside Sans' home, a conversation can be heard over the phone. There's a large smile on his face, but his tone of voice is low, mismatched with his complexion. "Cool if we check on the kiddo, and the goat kiddo?...No?...Azzy's still resting... discharged but hasn't completed the mend. 'Aight, cool...yeah, I gotcha. Catch ya on the flip side." 

Sans hangs up the phone, stretches, and then saunters into the living room. A rustling echoes from the kitchen, and he tilts his head. (Heh...I wonder what Papy's up to. Maybe he's about to cook some of his famous spaghetti. It's tasty stuff; I dunno why he never eats it himself.)

Sans walks into the kitchen to see Papyrus wrestling through the food in the cupboards. Cans and jars are strewn all over the countertop. Sans shrugs slightly, picks up a standalone bag of barbeque-flavored potato chips from the counter, and walks over to the couch in the lounge. He plops down and begins munching on his snack.

"Yo, Papy. Thanks for letting me mooch your chips," Sans quips as he smirks and winks at his brother.

"Sure, brother," Papyrus quietly replies. 

Sans looks up at Papyrus, who is still going through the cupboards and isn't even looking at him. (I haven't seen Papyrus talk so quietly...ever? Huh, weird.)

Sans takes a big handful of chips and wolfs them down his throat. "Although...I expected my great, strong brother to put up more of a fight over something that's his." Sans then looks sideways and clamps his jaws together. "I hope you're not...salty...about me mooching off of you a bit."

Sans winks and prepares to hear a rant from his brother. However, nothing happens as Papyrus continues to analyze the cupboards and then waves his hand slowly. "The great Papyrus is willing to share those chips with you. They're lightly salted, and they have a hint of vinegar. They're up to my standards."

Sans lets out a slight coughing noise from his skull and then winks again to himself. "Well, if they're only lightly salted, then you must be only lightly salty about having to share them with me, right?"

Papyrus wearily nods. "I suppose."

Sans shakes his head

Sans shakes his head. (That soft tone isn't going away. I really don't like this.) 

Papyrus walks over to the couch and lets his tall, skeleton body sink into the cushions of the couch. He lets out a heavy sigh, which floats toward the ceiling. Sans pulls out a potato chip, holding it near his mouth. "Want one, bro?"

"The great Papyrus has no need for sustenance right now."

"But if you're gonna continue being the great Papyrus, shouldn't he get enough energy into his bones?" Sans inquires. 

Papyrus sniffs. "Those things contain a significant enough amount of sodium. They may be delicious, but I must count my calories."

"Ah, right. That would explain why you're so much taller and skinnier than I am," Sans quips with a cheeky grin on his face.