Chapter 8: Gathering Leads (Part 2)

Within a large yet modest basement within the streets of Ebott, there are two monsters close to each other. One of them, Alphys, is hunched over some notes and charts on a table. The second monster is running on the treadmill on the other side of the room while wearing a black shirt and blue sweatpants. The athletic monster, Undyne, speaks to Alphys as she jogs.

"And then I told him, 'I am the Captain of the Royal Guard, and I am not afraid of some wimpy officer in front of me!" Undyne cackles and then waves her left hand around in the air. "Man, that dude didn't know what hit him. Nobody's gonna get information out of me!"

Alphys sighs. "Didn't you wanna be a police officer w-when you were growing up? W-why were you so rude to him?"

"Eh, he was just getting under my scales," Undyne says nonchalantly. "You have a point, though, but there are other Ebott officers I just like more."

The shorter monster doodles on a series of sketch papers and then looks back at the notes on the table

The shorter monster doodles on a series of sketch papers and then looks back at the notes on the table. Then at the doodles, then back at the notes again. Undyne turns her head towards the studious monster and grins. "What's up with you?"

"I need to k-know what you else y-you told the officer, Undyne," Alphys says. 

Undyne nods. "Something about how I didn't see much, just some striped shirt or whatever. I think I was annoyed because there were a bunch of questions that weren't even that useful! I dunno how quickly they'll solve this case."

Undyne hits a bright red button on the treadmill, then hops down and marches over to a nearby large, black punching bag. She begins to throw her fists at it with pinpoint precision and at great velocity as Alphys strokes her scaly head with her pen. "That's w-why you're training right now, right? You wanna f-find the attacker yourself?"

Undyne nods as she punches and kicks at the bag. "Yeah! I wanna see that little punk thrown in jail; pronto." Undyne then backs away from the punching bag, breathes deeply, and takes a sip of water. "Well, I also wanna do it right. While that Harlow guy was pretty annoying, he still has a job to do. We shouldn't muddy their procedures, and I especially don't wanna rush in stupidly! Still, I thought the police would capture that garbage person by now." 

Undyne laughs and then sorrowfully leans on the punching bag. "Maybe I'm too optimistic. It'll get worse before it gets better."

Undyne restarts her workout routine as Alphys taps her pen quickly on the bottom of her chin. "How DETERMINED are you, Undyne?"

"Do you even have to ask that question?" Undyne asks sharply. 

Alphys chuckles and quickly cleans her glasses. "Yeah, you're right. I j-just think a l-lot..." Alphys rubs the back of her neck, but then a bright grin flashes on her face. "But with how strong you are, you should be just fine with what's-their-face-in-the-mask." Alphys smiles and sighs. "Asriel survived, so you can too. T-that's reassuring, at least."