Chapter 24: Sunset (Part 4)

The sun begins to set. Susie approaches Kris first, swinging her heavy axe at him. Her weapon strikes the ground with a loud boom as Kris barely sidesteps out of the way. He laughs, then blocks another heavy swing from Susie with his own long, shimmering knife. A dent is made in the blade as Susie's axe barrels down on the knife, but he continues to smile confidently. He pulls the knife out, then spins around her third swing. After landing, he darts at Frisk and raises his knife, slashing. Frisk jumps over the slash and contorts as Kris swings and misses again halfway through the strike. He bites his lip and goes for yet a third swing, but Asriel jumps in the way and blocks with his chaos sabers. Asriel's teal eyes glow and shine in the dimming light.

"You will not kill anyone anymore, Kris," Asriel proclaims. "We will stop you!"

As Kris tries to push against Asriel's tough grip, he hears footsteps behind him. Kris releases his deadlock and, with a quick swing of his leg, sweep-kicks Susie in the shin. He lands the hit, and she falls to the ground, holding her leg in pain.

"YOU JERK; dirty move!" she yells. Kris shrugs and charges Susie to slay her, but a spear lands next to his feet. He spins around and blocks another spear throw from Undyne, then dashes along the left side of the hill as bones begin springing upward from the ground behind him.

Undyne pulls out shortened spears from her armor belt and hurls them at Kris, and Sans begins chucking bones at Kris from behind. As he runs around the hilltop, Asriel and Susie start running at him from the other side. Kris swings, blocks, blocks again. When more bones hurl at his head, he backflips through the air and ducks underneath another spear. He knew he had to keep his DETERMINATION up and his wits about him. As long as he was swift on his feet, this wouldn't be nearly as hard as one would think.

Susie moves in toward Kris again and hurls her axe at his head. He quickly ducks, and it lands in the dirt beside him. Kris shrugs and rushes at Frisk again. Before reaching that side of the hill, a wind passes by his right ear. He swaps the knife from his left hand over to his right and swings to block. A chaos saber barrels down on his blade. He looks over his shoulder to see Asriel swinging his other sword as sweat pours down his face. Kris dodges and moves away as Asriel's teeth clench with anger.

"Aw, the goat kid is trying to fight me. How adorable," Kris taunts.

Asriel shakes his head again and dashes forward with both swords. Susie runs over to grab her axe and pull it out of the ground, moving towards Kris again. "Stuff it," Susie retorts.

Susie jumps at Kris and swings toward the ground. He side-steps then blocks a few more saber slashes and spears from Asriel and Undyne. As Susie throws her axe again, Kris spins and moves with the grace of a falcon, blocking every throw from Undyne with his knife. As Kris lands on the ground, he stares up at Susie. Her yellow eyes tremble with darkness and misery, and her brow runs hot. Kris smiles. "You've gone soft, my old friend!"

Susie tightens her grip around her axe handle and clenches her teeth together. "Were we even friends to begin with?"

Sans teleports in front of Frisk and forms another bone wall between them and the rest of the battlefield. Sans shrugs and chuckles. "Can't have ya in the middle of the fray, kid."

"Thank you, Sans, but are you doing alright?" Frisk asks. 

Sans snickers. "Never better, kid. Now, watch this."

Right eye going blank, and his left eye flashing blue and yellow, the wall of bones stretches higher. A tiny peephole rests in the center of the wall of bones, and Frisk gasps through his teeth. "Sans, how will we get to them in time if they get hurt?"

Sans nods and winks at Frisk. "I'm a skeleton of many talents; one of them is teleporting over there for backup." He shrugs. "But I'm pretty lazy, so I dunno how often I'll use it."