Chapter One

The fresh clear blue sky was tainted by gray puffs of smoke. Angelina sat on the flat part of the roof outside her bedrooms window. She pressed the cigarette against her lips again inhaling the bitter taste. It's been almost two years since she's last been to her family's beach house in Cousins. The Flores didn't visit last summer due to family issues going on. Angelina blew more puffs of gray into the sky.

Even with all the bittiness building inside of her over the last year, apart of her still missed this place. But what she missed the most, were the Conklins and Fishers. The house and the beach was just extra but they were what made this place feel like home. The Flores beach house was right next to the Fishers beach house. The kids grew up together coming by every summer since they were kids.

When Isabel, Steven, Conrad and Jeremiah all found out she wasn't coming by last summer, they knew something had to be wrong and immediately texted her while Jeremiah called her.

Angelina didn't answer or return any of their calls and texts. How could she answer when her world was falling to pieces.

Another inhale and more gray smoke got lost with the wind.

Angelina had just turned 17 two weeks ago. Her and Conrad considered themselves best friends out of the group since they were closer in age. Steven, Isabel and Jeremiah always tended to stick together more. Even though Jeremiah would always trail after Angelina when they were kids and Conrad would tell him to go away. She gave a small laugh reminiscing about that. Oh how things have changed for her in an instance, sometimes she wishes she can go back to summer when she was 15. The last summer before everything changed for her. The last summer she was happy.

Angelina turned her head abruptly when she heard her window creak more open as someone was climbing onto her roof. She shook her head and returned looking over towards the sea. Her knees where curled up against her chest as she took another puff lowering her forearm against her knee, the cigarette hanging from her fingers.

The Flores girl felt a shoulder brush against hers as he sat down beside her. He reached over grabbing her cigarette from her fingers inhaling. "Since when do you smoke, Con?" Angelina spoke laying her chin against her knees as she wrapped her arms around her legs now that she wasn't holding the cigarette anymore.

"Wouldn't you like to know." He stated dryly.

Angelina rolled her eyes, "obviously, it wasn't a rhetorical question."

Conrad scoffed turning towards her giving a small smile, "same old Lina."

They sat in a comfortable silence. Angelina enjoyed Conrad's company the most. They were similar in many ways. And from the looks of it, this summer, they seemed to be in the same state of mind. She can feel it radiating off of him because its was the same as hers: desperate and hopelessness.

"When were you even going to tell me you're here?" Conrad finally broke the silence.

"Con, I haven't told anyone I'm here." Angelina answered. It was true, she hadn't text any of the Conklin or Fisher kids she had arrived for the summer because it was something she didn't think was going to happen.

"I'm not asking about everyone else, I'm asking you about me. Were you even going to tell me?" He stated. His gazed her figure. Angelina Flores had grown up since the last time he saw her. Her petite body was now curved out. Angelina's long chestnut hair that went half way down her back was now shoulder length, straight and black. Her brown doe-eyes seemed darker, almost hollow. Angelina was sitting right beside him but she felt unreachable.

Angelina sighed. "I've texted you here and there. I just honestly didn't know if I was going to end up returning. I didn't want to give my word and not keep it."

Conrad nodded and the silence took over once again. He didn't mind though, with everything he was going though, it felt nice not having someone pester him about his mood or football. That was his favorite thing about his friendship with Angelina, she knew when to pry and when to sit back and wait for him to be ready to speak about what was bothering him.

The Fisher boy spoke, "your dad let me in the house by the way. He looked tired. I'm used to Professor Flores always being in a cheerful mood."

Angelina winced at the mention of her dad. If only Conrad knew her dad won't be a professor for much longer.

Conrad noticed her shift in mood. From sulking to defensiveness, she was about to put a shield up. He can sense it from a mile away. "Are you ever going to tell me what's going?" Conrad question.

"Are you?" She shot back knowing he was also keeping something to himself.

Conrad gave a small laugh, " touché." He paused and put out the cigarette standing back up. "Belly and Steven should be arriving any minute, want to come down with me?"

Conrad extended his hand out for her to take. Angelina simply glanced at it and shook her head up at him returning her gazed towards the water. "No. I think I'll stay here for a bit more to gather my thoughts."

The Fisher boy sighed, "you know he'll want to know you're here. He'll want to see you."

Angelina nodded saying lowly, "Jeremiah can wait."

End of chapter notes:

Hello loves! Quick question for those who are reading, would you guys like smut in this story? Will you guys be comfortable with that? I've written smut in my Kai Parker fanfic but the characters ages are over 18 so I'm not sure how readers will feel about 16/17 year olds smut. Let me know! I'm open for either or.

Also, this is going to be a slight AU just to give it a longer storyline. It's going off mainly based off the TV series. So I'm doing a slight AU so the fic can be longer than like 10 chapters.

Hope you enjoyed.