Chapter Thirty-Eight

After they left the debutante event, the Conklin's went upstairs as Jeremiah, Conrad and Susannah all sat besides each other on the couch. Jeremiah's eyes were red from all the crying. He lightly rubbed his eyes as he sat to the right of his mom and Conrad sat on her left.

Susannah sighed turning to look at Jeremiah. She gave him a small smile. "I'm so sorry the night turned out like this." She reached out for Jeremiah. "This was supposed to be a beautiful night for you and Angelina. It's not how I wanted you to find out."

Jeremiah shook his head furiously not caring about the outcome of the debutante ball at the moment, "mom, you're gonna do the trial right?"

Susannah pressed her lips together taking a moment. Jeremiah still staring at her intensely pleading silently for an answer she knew she wasn't going to give him. "No honey. I'm not. I can't. Chances are very slight," she paused taking in a deep breath. "Nonexistent really. I just can't go through that again. It was too hard the first time."

Jeremiah eyes widen. He couldn't believe his mom was being this selfish. What about him? What about Conrad? Doesn't she know how much this will effect them. "Mom, but you could try! You have to try!"

Susannah continued trying to reason with her son. "I just want to be me when I go. Does that make sense?"

Jeremiah scoffed lightly. "No! No, it doesn't make sense. None of this makes sense." His heart felt heavy and he felt the tears starting to build again. Jeremiah looked over at Conrad with pleading eyes. He knew they have had their differences recently but he needed him right now. Jeremiah needed his older brother.

Susannah grabbed ahold of Jeremiah's hand giving it a light squeeze. "I know. I know, I'm not good at this, okay. Mommy's not good at this." She reaches over towards Conrad as well moving her gaze from Jeremiah to him. "I should've known that you knew. I just didn't want to believe it. Thank Angelina for me, for putting up with your attitude because of my behavior."

Conrad gulped feeling his stomach get queasy.

Jeremiah squeezed his mom's hand tighter. He needed to convince her. He needed her to listen to him. "Mom, if there's any chance, any at all, you have to. I mean you just have to. Tell her Conrad." He needed his brother. He needed him now more then anything. As he turned to look at Conrad, Jeremiah noticed Conrad was just eyeing his hands, his fingers fidgeting. Anger started to boil within Jeremiah. "Why aren't you saying anything?" Jeremiah voice raised. "Say something, please. Mom this is crazy. You have to try. You can't give up on us."

Conrad finally took in a deep shaky breath. "Mom," his voice cracked as he spoke. "Can't you just... I mean can't you just try, for us mom. I need you."

Susannah felt her heart breaking looking between both her boys. Her eyes started tearing as she reached out for both of them. "Come here," Susannah said as they both leaned into her. The three Fisher's sat there embracing as they cried.

~~~

Jeremiah groaned as he heard rapid knocking on his bedroom door. He slowly leaned up from laying down on his bed as he felt exhaustion take over his body. It was late and a couple hours since he sat with his mom and brother in the living room crying. He sighed. Wiping his eyes for any tears that remained, he made his way over towards his bedroom door. Opening it up, it was the last person Jeremiah was expecting to see standing there.

As Conrad stood there, Jeremiah sensed a bit of jitteriness from him and he grew curious as to why Conrad was like this. A little out of breath, he heard Conrad let out, "has Lina answered you?"

Jeremiah raised an eyebrow now even more curious. "I haven't called or texted her," he answered honestly. Jeremiah hadn't even thought of Angelina since the ball a couple hours ago. He was embarrassed by the whole incident that happened between her, Conrad and himself. Then when they all returned home after the incident, they spent their time crying with their mom trying to convince her to try the trial. When their mom finally agreed, Jeremiah went up to his room to gather his thoughts. He hadn't even had time to process everything prior to that.