Chapter Thirty-Four

Angelina was sitting in between Belly and Shayla in the dressing room with all the other debutante girls applying makeup. She didn't realize how tired she looked until she started applying some foundation. Her dad came back from his short trip to Rhode Island looking worse. Angelina even suggested this morning to her dad while in the car with Conrad that maybe they should skip the ball. But of course, her dad refused expressing how excited he was to see her in a white ball gown. There was no way she could disappoint her dad after hearing him express how thrilled he was looking forward to the debutante ball.

As Angelina was about to put on a fake eyelash, she heard Belly stuttered, "Nicole, I'm really sorry." The Flores girl immediately stopped and set her fake lash down on the table turning to stare at Nicole and Belly. She was a bit flabbergasted on why Belly was the one apologizing at the moment. Angelina stood up and went beside Belly clearing her throat. "Excuse me, but Belly, did I just hear that correctly. Did you just apologize to Nicole?"

Nicole straighten up and said, "Look Angie-"

Angelina quickly put a finger up to silence Nicole. "I'm speaking to Belly right now."

Belly slouched down in her seat slightly growing a bit timid, "yes I did, because of Conrad."

Angelina shook her head in frustration. "No, you don't have to apologize Belly. If anyone should be apologizing here, it should be Nicole," Angelina said sternly as she turned to face Nicole. "For leaving you and Taylor, who are underaged by the way, naked in the middle of nowhere with no transportation."

Nicole sighed. "You always speak as if you're way older, Angie. Fine. I'm sorry Belly and you too, Angie. I was also mad at you cause I thought Conrad had a thing for both of you."

Angelina tensed up slightly. Clearing her throat, she waved off the apology acknowledging it and walked back towards her seat. She let out a deep sigh as she started to reapply her fake lashes. Now was not the time to think about Conrad.

~~~

"My handsome date," Susannah said looking up at Conrad in an all black tux with a bow tie.

"Mom," Conrad rasped as he felt himself growing a bit shy.

They walk arm and arm together up the steps onto the porch where everyone else was gathered outside the venue where the debutante ball was being held. Jeremiah was standing next to Laurel. Ramiro was on the other side of Laurel and Julian was beside Ramiro fixing Cristian's tie. All three men dressed in tailored black suits.

"Look at us," Susannah started looking around at the group. Everyone was dressed nice with smiles on their faces. "It's perfect." She was so happy to see her little boy get ready to be an escort at the debutante ball, something Susannah never expected. She thought it would have been Conrad getting ready to escort Angelina but regardless, she is more then proud of Jeremiah for stepping up.

"Mom, you're not going to cry are you?" Jeremiah chuckled.

"What and ruin my makeup? No way." Susannah spoke as they all laugh.

"Everything's going to be different next year," she said eyeing Ramiro. Conrad, catching the look between the two, looked down at his mom giving her a questioning look. Susannah simply looked up at him and smiled. "Conrad and Angelina are off to college in a couple weeks. It may be the last summer we're all together."

Jeremiah stiffened slightly. He didn't know Angelina had given up her senior year of high school and decided to start college early. He heard over the years how academically brilliant Angelina was and was working hard to graduate high school early. He was only surprised by this information because she hadn't mentioned it to him all summer. But of course, Conrad already knew before him and for some reason that irritated Jeremiah.