Chapter Twenty-One

Angelina sat on the stool in the dark kitchen near the counter crying. When she arrived back from the carnival Angelina found her dad collapsed on the floor. She felt the whole world around her shut down. Her lungs felt like they were closing in, not being able to breathe. Angelina quickly called Julian Tello for help as she was about to call 911, her dad woke up. Ramiro Flores begged Angelina to not call an ambulance that Julian would take him to get checked on. He ordered her to stay at the house.

So she sat there, alone, frustrated and crying.

She pulled out her phone sending a text to Jeremiah: I need you.

She heard the back kitchen door swing open and mentally cursed wishing she had locked it. Angelina was not in the mood to deal with a drunk Conrad at the moment.

As a drunk Conrad strolled into the kitchen, he saw Angelina sitting alone in the dark. He noticed right away she was crying and quickly walked over to her. "Are you crying? What did he do?" Conrad said angrily.

Angelina looked up at him shaking her head about to speak, to tell him the horrid image she witness of her dad on the floor but was cut off by Conrad. "I told- no, I warned you not to get involved with Jeremiah! He never takes anything seriously, Lina! All summer last year, he was with a different person every weekend. And now, he's doing the same with you."

This time Angelina stopped crying and shot him a glare. "This hasn't nothing to do with Jeremiah, you idiot! If you would have answered my call thirty minutes ago, you would know why. I found him collapsed, okay. My dad, on the floor."

Conrad immediately tensed up regretting what he just said. He just assumed Jeremiah did something stupid. Conrad timidly placed his hand on her shoulder as comfort only for Angelina to shrug it off harshly. Conrad frowned, no matter what happened between them, they've never have been angry at each other. But he knew, this time, he fucked up. He stood there beside her silently as her hands cover her face, letting Angelina cry once more.

Conrad was about to reach out to try to hold her again but stopped as he heard the back kitchen door slam.

Jeremiah came rushing in, breathing heavily. He took in the scene, seeing a drunk Conrad and crying Angelina. He rushed over to the two, "what did you say to her, Conrad?" The smell of alcohol was just radiating off of Conrad.

Conrad scoffed rolling his eyes as Jeremiah stiffen curling his hands into fist. But Conrad kept quiet knowing now, Angelina has not told Jeremiah about her dad's condition.

Angelina quickly reached out grabbing a hold of one of Jeremiah's hands. Jeremiah let out a sigh trying to recompose. Angelina needed him right now and he wasn't going to let his anger get the best of him when she was more important.

Conrad eyed the two growing frustrated. Angelina was his best friend. He should be the one here for her, not his brother. The older Fisher boy had missed her call because he was upset with Angelina and Jeremiah hanging out and consumed a lot of alcohol.

"Go home, Conrad. You're drunk man," Jeremiah said sternly. He really wanted to know what happened here and it didn't seem like Angelina was going to talk with the two of them there.

Conrad got closer towards Jeremiah as Angelina pressed her other free hand against Conrad's chest, "Con, please. I really don't need this right now."

Conrad looked at Angelina, pain clearly expressed across his face. "Fine," he said as he walked out slamming the door behind him.

Jeremiah quickly wrapped his arms around Angelina embracing her. "Hey, Angel flower. What happened? Did he say or do something to you?"

Angelina just laid her head against his chest, closing her eyes letting the exhaustion she was feeling take over. "Stay the night with me, please," she said as her voice cracked.