Chapter Twenty-Six

It was early morning and Angelina sat on the front steps to their beach houses thinking about everything that occurred last night. First, she was confused as to why Nicole kept giving her dirty looks the entire time she was having that private conversation with Conrad. Angelina was a little too buzz to realize at the time. Second the comment Nicole made "your second girlfriend," to Conrad threw her off as well. Third, Jeremiah and Gigi and whatever had occurred between the two of them the pervious night. Angelina knew she heard someone else on the other line of the phone but she ignored it, thinking, no knowing Jeremiah would never do anything to hurt her but maybe she was wrong.

"Angel," she heard a low rasp call out as she abruptly turned to look up seeing Jeremiah now standing in front of her.

She squinted her ears looking up at him, the sun blazing in the background. "Speaking of the devil. You know what's funny, I was just thinking about you and now poof, here you are. I didn't know I had this power. Maybe I should have thought of someone better, like Chris Evans for example," Angelina added sarcastically. She was not in the mood this early in the morning for whatever lie Jeremiah was about to tell her.

Jeremiah rolled his eyes at her dramatics. "I need to talk to you," he said sternly now standing in front of Angelina, towering over her trying to shield her from the sun. He notice her eyes squinting.

"Sorry, Angelina is currently unavailable to listen to your bullshit. Please try again, never," Angelina added dryly.

Jeremiah sighed running his hand down his face slowly in frustration. He need to talk to her, to explain the misunderstanding from the other night with Gigi. He need her to listen to him. There's already been too many misunderstandings between them and he didn't want to add another.

Silence overcame the two as they both stared at each other for a couple seconds. The sound of a low engine was heard causing the both of them to break eye contact turning to see a sheriffs vehicle pulling into her driveway.

"Well, things just got interesting," Angelina mumbled knowing very well what was about to happen. "If you're lucky, maybe you'll be my one call."

Jeremiah looked down at her raising an eyebrow confused. An older deputy and a very young deputy got out of the vehicle walking towards Jeremiah and Angelina. The older one looked down at Angelina saying, "Miss Flores, is your father home?"

"Of course, Sergeant Hayes. He's inside," Angelina answered politely. Jeremiah gave a low scoff knowing that was Angelina's fake nice voice. He moved closer towards Angelina, stepping to the side of her.

Sergeant Hayes nodded to his partner, "stay here. I'll be going in to speak to her father first."

Angelina scoffed knowing 'stay here' meant, keep an eye on her and make sure doesn't run for it. She grinned wide as the sergeant walked into her house and the younger one stayed standing in front of her. "Miles, hello. Or should I call you deputy Baker now, sir."

He gave her a small smirk, "Angelina Flores. You've grown up. It's been what? Two years since I've last seen you. You dyed your hair black. Not going to lie, I like it. Gives you sort of an edgy look."

Angelina laughed nodding her head. "Well, gotta keep up the appearance to go with my new criminal life apparently. You actually went through with it. You went straight to the academy after graduating high school two years ago?"

Miles nodded proudly. "I sure did, youngest in my class. I was 17 going in."

"I knew you could do it," she paused standing up. "So, are you going to arrest me, deputy?" She added teasingly.

Jeremiah stiffen not liking the flirtatious tone Angelina was using with this guy. He was much older than them. He didn't know a lot about the Baker family but he knew of them. If he remembered correctly, Miles was their second oldest boy and should be around nineteen years old. He was tall, muscular built with dark black wavy hair and green eyes.