Chapter Forty-Two

Angelina threw the Brown University sweater her dad got for her into the beige duffle bag that was laying on top of the kitchen counter. She packed a few clothing options with important essentials. The beach house was nearly entirely packed already thanks to Cristian Tello and the Conklin's. The only things left was the stuff that just stayed there throughout the year.

She leaned over zipping up the duffle bag and sighed reminiscing about last night. Last night was special between her and Jeremiah. But more importantly, it felt as if it was a goodbye. She needed to move on with her life, to start new. Angelina didn't want to be stuck in this state of emptiness and she definitely didn't want to drag Jeremiah down with her.

She heard some footsteps outside walking up to her kitchen door and quickly threw her duffel bag on the floor hiding it behind the chair. Jeremiah had just left an hour ago to return home to freshen up so she knew it couldn't be him coming back so soon.

As the kitchen door swung open, she locked eyes with old familiar brown ones. Remorse filled Angelina as she saw him shut the door and walk closer towards her. "Con.." she whispered. Her best friend. It felt like ages since she's last seen or spoken to him even though it's barely been two days. "I'm sorry I've been a bad best friend."

Conrad's face soften as he reached out pulling her into a hug. "Why are you apologizing? I'm the one that's been a bad best friend putting my own feelings over yours."

Angelina wrapped her arms around his waist giving him a small squeezing within the hug. In the midst of it all, she forgot how much she missed her best friend. Conrad's confession to her had already been lost in her mind with everything else going on. Angelina never had the time to process how he felt or even how she felt about the situation until now. "Because you confided your feelings to me and I never gave you an answer."

Conrad pulled away from the hug and shook his head. He already knew her answer. He realized it when he saw Angelina and Jeremiah sitting on her roof together last night. A spot that used to be only theirs. "Let's not talk about that right now. We start college together in two weeks. A lot can change from now till the end of our four years at university together."

Angelina flinched slightly hoping Conrad didn't notice when he mentioned them starting college together. College was the last thing in her mind now. "No, Conrad. I need to tell you now because I don't want you clinging onto a misunderstanding-"

"Lina, I said I don't want to talk about it okay," Conrad said turning to look away from her. He couldn't bare to hear it.

"Conrad, look at me," Angelina grabbed his wrist to pull him closer to her. Conrad turned slowly to look down at Angelina, his eyes starting to water slightly. "I care for you, so much. I really do. You're probably one of favorite persons. But, I love Jeremiah. He is my person."

Conrad shut his eyes slowly taking in a deep breath. He slowly grabbed her hand that was wrapped around his wrist and intertwined their fingers. "Why?" He rasped when opening his eyes again. "Why did it have to be my little brother?"

"Honestly, I shouldn't even be telling you this because I haven't even told him myself but I don't think it would have been fair to you," Angelina sighed. She wanted Jeremiah to be the first she told that she loved him but with her plans on leaving, Angelina didn't even know if she'll see Jeremiah again before leaving.

Conrad nodded and dropped her hand as he took a step back away from Angelina. "You're right. You shouldn't be telling me any of this. Lina, if you haven't told Jere you love him yet when you say you do, maybe it's because something is holding you back from saying it and you shouldn't."

Angelina furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. "No, that's not it-"

Conrad turned walking towards the kitchen door cutting her off. "We start college in two weeks Lina, no need to rush any unknown feelings. Take your time. Oh and my mom wanted me to invite you over for lunch so I'll be back later to get you, okay?" He said as he walked out closing the kitchen door behind him.