Chapter Twenty

Angelina grinned wide as she walked out of Whale of a Tale bookstore. She found three new enemies to lovers books she had been wanting to read. Angelina held her white over the shoulder book bag tightly closer to her side. She figured Conrad will be calling her back soon to come over and hangout so she decided it was time to head back to her place. He was there almost every Friday and Saturday night.

As she's walking along the side walk, Angelina heard a car engine going rather slowly behind her. Her instinct kicked in quickly and she gripped her bag tightly. Angelina abruptly stopped turning around glaring at whoever was in the vehicle following her.

The familiar red Jeep pulled up beside her as the passenger window rolled down catching blue eyes and a wide grin looking at her.

"Easy, girl. If looks could kill, I'll be dead right now," Jeremiah winked at her.

Angelina rolled her eyes smiling at him as she walked closer towards the vehicle. "Well maybe don't be a creep following me around in your Jeep."

"I wasn't following you around, I simple happened to be driving by and saw you so I," he paused thinking of the right word to use. "So I just let you take the lead."

It was true. Jeremiah was just driving through the town after finding a late birthday gift for Angelina since her birthday was two weeks before summer vacation began. He wasn't planning on running into her outside of the bookstore but now that he did and saw how adorable she looked, Jeremiah wanted to spend time with her tonight instead of what he originally planned for tomorrow, Saturday night, when Conrad would be at the festival.

She wasn't dressed in one of her more provocative outfits, no, she was wearing green corduroy short overalls that was only clipped on one side while the other side flowed freely and a white crop top t-shirt with little yellow sunflowers underneath the short overalls. Clearly a 'I'm staying in tonight' outfit but regardless, he was memorized. She still looked so beautiful to him.

"Jeremiah, hello?" He heard cutting off his thoughts as he looked over at Angelina. "Caught in a daze, pretty boy?"

"I am, by a pretty girl," Jeremiah winked. "Come on, Angel flower. We're going for a ride."

Angelina couldn't stop the grin from forming on her face as she began opening the passenger door. As she was about to get in, she stopped looking over at Jeremiah who had a raised eyebrow at her. "Wait, my car is here."

"It'll be fine, come on! I have a surprise for you."

Angelina pulled her phone out of her bag and noticed no calls or texts from Conrad. She usually hears from him around this time to hangout. She shrugged her shoulders getting into Jeremiah's Jeep, maybe he was busy tonight.

~~~

"The towns carnival?" Angelina said as she shut the car door walking over towards Jeremiah.

He nodded smiling, placing his hand on her lower back so she can step around him into the carnival entrance. "I know it's a little childish now that we're older-"

"No. Not at all, I think it'll be fun," Angelina said. The last time she was here was when her and Conrad were fifteen years old. The two usually came together every summer starting at a young age.

It was a small carnival Cousins Beach held every year during the summer. A few food and game venders with some carnival rides.

"You know I would always get jealous as a kid when you and Conrad would come here together," Jeremiah said as they walked side by side. The gap between them was so small their arms would brush against each other as they walked.