Chapter Thirty-Three

"There's my beautiful Angel flower," Jeremiah said wrapping his arms around Angelina's chest from behind. His mouth lingering near her ear as he spoke, "hi."

Angelina leaned into his touch taking a deep breath. The calmness radiating around Jeremiah was bringing her a small relief after seeing her dad arrive back this morning from his short trip to Rhode Island a couple days ago. Her dad looked like he had worsen over the last few days. "How early did you sneak out this morning?" Angelina asked.

"Very early, didn't want to risk your dad finding me here," Jeremiah laughed. Grabbing her hand, he spun Angelina around so she was facing him now. "What's wrong? You felt tensed in my arms. Did I do something wrong last night? Was I too rough?" Jeremiah frowned.

Angelina shook her head no quickly, "no, last night was good, really good." She paused taking another deep breath. Her mind was just clouded with thoughts of her dad this morning. She wasn't even concerned with the debutante ball anymore in a couple hours. Inhaling and exhaling again, Angelina thought maybe it was finally time to tell Jeremiah about her dad's cancer. "It's about my dad, he has-"

"Look, if you're worried about your mom showing up and your dad getting angry. I don't think they will cause a scene," Jeremiah said cutting off Angelina.

Angelina stiffen slightly. The thought of her mother showing up tonight didn't even cross her mind, until now. Anger starting building at the possibility of her mother coming to her event and acting like they were the perfect family. No one in town knew about the divorce beside the Tellos, Fishers and Conklins, it was no one else's business to know.

She felt Jeremiah lightly grip her shoulders but the tension was still there. Angelina was finally ready to share what was causing her the most pain with Jeremiah, but he cut her off before she could. She shook her head and tried to recomposed herself. Now was not the time anymore, she thought.

"Hey," Jeremiah said softly still feeling the stiffness in Angelina's shoulder. "I'm going to be by your side all night, okay. I promise. I'm not leaving you alone for one second especially if your mom shows up."

Angelina scoffed lowly puckering her lips. The night would not end well if her mother decided to show her face there tonight, Angelina knew that for a fact. "You promise?" She whispered.

Jeremiah cupped Angelina's face leaning down, "mmh, I promise. Now come on, give me a smile. It should be a happy day for you, everything is good."

Angelina forced a smile as Jeremiah grinned widely not catching the forced smile. He leaned down giving her a kiss. "I have to go back inside and help my mom with a couple things, I'll see you tonight."

As Jeremiah walked away back towards his beach house, Angelina leaned against her car letting out a deep sigh. "Everything is not good, Jeremiah. How could you not tell," Angelina whispered.

"He's always been oblivious to these things or more so, he likes to ignore it," Angelina heard as she quickly turned startled at hearing his voice.

Conrad walked closer towards Angelina leaning against the car beside her, "the golden retriever, that's what Jeremiah is. Always seeing the happiness but oblivious to the darkness in hiding." Conrad looked down at Angelina. He felt a slight pain hit his chest. "I've missed you, Lina."

Angelina crossed her arms against her chest, "oh yeah, and whose fault is that? Because I've been right here, Con. You're the one that cut me out."

Conrad groaned. "Yeah and I had every right! You fucked my younger brother, Lina! What did you expect, me to congratulate you guys. To be happy for you two?"

Angelina rolled her eyes, "yes Con! That's exactly what I expected. You're my best friend, you should be happy for me when I'm happy. Well, as happy as one can be with the situation I'm in."