Chapter Thirty-Five

Conrad stood in the hallway watching Steven and Jeremiah joking around. He missed laughing with his younger brother. This summer had been a mess. Conrad tried hiding his emotions concerning his mom all summer and instead took out his frustrations on Jeremiah and Angelina. The two people that meant most to him. He missed the summers when their biggest worries were the sadness that came with the end of summer vacation. He let out a sigh as he felt a hand grip his shoulder. Conrad looked up slightly seeing Cristian standing beside him.

"Flores girl told me everything," Cristian said as Conrad frowned turning to look at his younger brother across the room. "I always thought it would be you to be honest, but now that I think about all the stories Angelina told me about you guys after the summers was over, I am not surprised it's the younger one."

Conrad gulped, "you knew? Just by stories she told?"

Cristian nodded, "more so by the expressions she held when she spoke his name. She's never actually said it out loud but that's the person she is. Angelina says more with her looks then words."

Conrad gave another deep sigh and started walked over towards Steven and Jeremiah, "come on, quarterback. I miss my little brother." Cristian gave a small laugh and followed in after him.

Jeremiah and Steven turned seeing Cristian and Conrad walk in. Jeremiah raised an eyebrow at two of them together. He found it a bit weird that Conrad had a developed a friendship with Cristian. Jeremiah questioned his older brothers intention thinking Conrad only became friends with Cristian to impress Angelina.

Conrad and Cristian stood in front of Steven and Jeremiah. Conrad spoke first breaking up the awkward silence, "hey, are you guys ready for the escort dance?"

Steven rolled his eyes grinning looking over at Jeremiah, "dude I actually still can't believe you roped me and Cristian into doing this."

Cristian shrugged his shoulders, "girls love guys that can dance."

Jeremiah nodded his head in agreement, "oh come on dude. Cristian is right, the girls are going to love it."

Conrad slouched his shoulders slightly. He felt a little bit left out. Cristian was with Belly, Steven with Shayla and Jeremiah with Angelina. He was the only one not involved in the event. "Kind of wish we were all doing it together, you know."

"You wish you were doing a dance routine?" Steven said raising his eyebrow. He couldn't picture Conrad doing a dance routine.

"No, no!" Conrad said immediately as they all laughed. "I didn't mean that literally, I just, you know. We haven't hung out much this summer." Conrad turned to look at Jeremiah.

Jeremiah stared back at his brother recalling the recent events. Things have gotten so bad between the two of them. As far as he knew, it was Conrad who has been the one pushing everyone away with the exception of Angelina. But right now, Jeremiah could see the regret in Conrad's eyes. "Yeah, you've been pretty MIA."

Conrad nodded. "Yeah I know. That's on me," he paused. He wanted his brother back. "But I was thinking about it. We have like a week or so left of summer. What if we e all went on an overnight fishing trip, all of us." He turned looking at Cristian, Steven and then finally at Jeremiah.

Steven excitedly said, "dude yeah, I'm in!" As Cristian said, "I think I can squeeze it in before I leave for football camp."

Jeremiah eyed his older brother with curiosity. He was still upset with Conrad but it seemed to him maybe Conrad was trying. "Yeah," Jeremiah answered.

"Alright, you guys are going kill this," Conrad grinned. He felt better now. After everything that has happened leading up to this night, he felt like everything was going back to normal. Conrad did his hand shake with Cristian and goes over towards Jeremiah leaning in to give him a hug.

"Thanks Connie." Conrad exhales as he heard Jeremiah said lowly.

~~~

Belly stood next up for being introduced. Cristian standing on the opposite side giving her a lazy smile as she blushed. Angelina stood behind Belly smirking. "Stop blushing, Belly or else you're going to look like a tomato in your photos."

Belly quickly covered her cheeks. "I can't help it, every time he gives me that half smile I blush uncontrollably."

"Isabel Conklin," they both heard as Belly jumped slightly being caught off guard. "Hurry go, Cristian is already at the center waiting for you," Angelina laughed as she pushed Belly forward lightly. Belly stepped forward looking back at Angelina giving her a huge grin as Angelina gave her a thumbs up. "Daughter of John Conklin and Laurel Park. A student at Chesterbrook high school where she is captain of the varsity volleyball team. Tonight she is escorted by Cristian Tello."

Angelina held her hands together up against her chest staring at the two of them with such joy. She adored both of them so much. At the start of the summer, she would have never thought Belly would be standing up there beside Cristian.

Jeremiah stood on the other side with his mouth slightly opened. His eyes straight across on the girl standing there waiting for him. She was breathtaking. Angelina stood on the opposite side of him staring on at Bela and Cristian with such gleam. But his eyes were solely focused on her. His eyes were always on her. Angelina was the most beautiful girl he's ever seen. Nobody compared to her. She was his storm and he'll let her destroy him any day.

Angelina finally turned looking straight ahead locking eyes with Jeremiah. A small smile appeared on her face. After everything that has happened today, there's no one else she would want standing beside her at this moment. She exhaled lowly. He was the one she cared for the most.

"Angelina Clara Flores," she heard her name being called and stepped forward as Jeremiah met her in the center. He wrapped his arm around hers looking down at her. "Show time," Angelina winked up at him.

Jeremiah eyes widen slightly as he saw that mischievous glint in her eyes return. He looked down at her chest and noticed she was wearing the necklace he gave her. The small flower pendant with her green birthstone shined bright against her white dress. He leans in near her ear whispering, "god, you're so gorgeous. I love you."

This time it was Angelina's eyes that widen and froze in place. She felt her stomach tighten and whether it was for joy or nerves, she couldn't tell the difference. Angelina felt Jeremiah kiss her temple as he leaned back and grinned, "you don't have to say back to me right now okay. Let's go. Show time, Angel." As the two of them begin walking down the steps.

"Daughter of Ramiro and Claire Flores. A student at East Greenwich high school were she was captain of the varsity cheerleading squad. Tonight she is escorted by Jeremiah Fisher."

Jeremiah and Angelina walked over beside Cristian and Belly standing in front of the table with Ramiro Flores and Julian Tello that was beside the Fisher's and Conklin table. Angelina exhaled seeing her mother was not there. She was worried for moment that she might actually show up. But as always, Angelina was never a priority to her mother.

Angelina headed towards her dad handing him the rose and kissing him on the cheek, "esto era para ti, papa." She felt her dad give her arm a squeeze and she walked back to Jeremiah grabbing on his arm. Angelina looked over at Susannah giving her a soft smile.

Laurel looked between Susannah and Ramiro. Both showing emotions that were meant more than just happiness. Laurel got up from her seat frustrated walking away. Conrad raised an eyebrow at interaction between the adults. He turned to look at Angelina who was looking up at Jeremiah with a questioning look.

As Jeremiah stood beside Angelina, his face scrunched up with concern. He noticed the way Laurel looked at his mom before running off and the fact that Conrad also caught the glance. Now he was more determined then ever to find out what is going on, what his mom was hiding.